large clump of frozen yellow stuff on hen's backside

Mezzy Chicks

Chirping
7 Years
May 3, 2016
Wisconsin
One of my speckled Sussex, 9 mos old, yesterday morning appeared with a large (size of a jumbo egg or a little bigger) yellow clump frozen to her backside below her vent. Initially I thought she had sat on a broken egg or laid a shell-less egg and it just froze to her fluffy butt feathers. I went out with a bucket of hot water and a wash cloth, set her on my lap and carefully wiped until it loosened and came off. I did notice a large (nickel-size) red lump near her vent, but I thought it was just irritated by the stuff that had been there. I dried her off and set her in the coop to recover. She promptly went right back outside to join the rest of the gang. I know she laid an egg that day because I collected the full allotment (13 hens - 13 eggs). She's eating, running and roosting just like all the others. This morning she appeared with a new frozen yellow clump (smaller than yesterday's). I had to work today so I did not have time to attend to her this morning but will later this afternoon.

Since it recurred, I am assuming the red spot could be some type of infection and this yellow stuff could be drainage from it? Or is it a poop-related problem? Any idea what this is and how I should treat it?

Could you post a picture? Do you know what a prolapse looks like? See the 2 pics below of prolapsed vents. She might have a small one, or the poop is just clumping onto her feathers due to cold weather or feathers in the way. I would clean her up again, and bring her inside to dry. If it looks like a prolapse, you will need to separate her, and lubricate the red tissue, and push it back inside. Preparation H cream, sugar, or honey are good to apply to help reduce swelling in the red tissue. Here is a good article about prolapse treatment:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic.html

vent+a.jpg

photo by armorfirelady

15563_chicken_butt_007.jpg

photo by whatsup chickenbutt

Last edited:
That could certainly be the problem. Thanks so much sharing your wisdom! Just curious - why would we need to keep her separate?

Chickens with injury's will get picked on and make the mess worse.Chickens are attracted to the color red which happens to be the color of blood.Separating a injured/weak chicken is key to there well being.

Last edited:
Thanks! I guess it helps if I read the whole article before I post additional questions. Well, I followed all the instructions and she is now in a large dog crate in the house. The cats are a little freaked out but they'll get over it. I'm concerned that part of the 'red' prolapse seems hard and nearly black. Probably not a good sign, right? I treated with Prep H anyway and will hope for the best. If all goes well, is there anything special I need to do re-introduce her to the flock?

If you are seeing black tissue, that is dead tissue. You will need to put her in a warm shallow bath using some Epsom salts or soapy water. Scrub the black area with a rag to try and debride the tissue to pink tissue. That may take more than one bath daily. Keep the red tissue moist with ointment or cream. To stop her from laying for a couple of weeks, you can keep her in a dark room or cage overnight for 16 hours a day--this may take a few days. Let us know how it goes if her vent gets back to normal since it may affect it's function.

I saw a YouTube clip where someone removed a growth from the back of the hens. Yellow looking like a grown worm. Then tied the area.. I dont know what. I think a vet would be the best to figure this .. I like this education and awareness. Thanks guys

Back
Top Bottom