*Large Dog House for a Tom Turkey?*

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Whittni, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Hi, I've grown way to addicted to these forums...well anyways I was told I need a big tom turkey for my free range flock, my midget guy just isn't going to cut the deal. So I did find one, for free....I haven't called or anying but I'm planning to get him and a hen (or two) for him. So I searched the craigslist and found some big dog houses for cheap-ish ($30 bucks each OBO) and here's a couple pictures they had on there:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

they also posted the measurements: Green one is 42"H 37"W 48"D Pink one is 40"H 37"W 42"D

So I was wondering if one of these would happen to work for a large tom turkey (a black spanish I think)? Thanks ahead of time.[​IMG]

2. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

I know nothing about turkeys, but I made a nice duck house out of a dog house. [​IMG]

3. Lucysmom002

Lucysmom002 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    My tom turkey roosts at night. He prefers not to be on the ground.

4. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    Quote:i think it would make a better duck house too. i know nothing about turkeys, perhaps post in that part of the thread. I think turkeys get really really big, dont think that would be enough room for them, i dunno.

5. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:could always put a larger dow rod through the sides for a roost. Thats what I did with my baby coop made out of a bathroom sink cabinet!

6. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    uhmm...would it work?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by