Large Fowl Cochin Thread

Does anyone has some pictures that they can share of Day Old Mottled LF Cochins? I have all Black Cochins but one of the hens as a few white features near the back on her head and the chicks look like they could be mottled but I cannot remember what they look like when they hatch to have something to compare to. I believe that my birds did come from a breeder that had been working on LF Mottled so they'd be a nice surprise. Thanks in advance for any assistance!

They should have a lot of white in them!

1 day old

5 weeks old

I now also have some of 2,5 months. If there is any interest I can post them.

Last edited:
I am in search of some Buff, Splash and possibly White LF Cochins. Prefer 1day-6week old chicks. Please private message me if you've got any. Will pay for shipping.

So, I have a question for the color experts out there. I have all these White Males, but no females, I do Have a Partridge female, but no males. If I breed white to partridge, I probably end up with some funny looking offspring, but if I take those back to the parents, would I end up with the correct colors? Kind of like some breeds will breed to different colors to improve type or size or something? Or would I be better off either just scrapping the cochins and/or getting birds of the proper color to go forward if I decided I wanted to?

BGMatt, Crossing black & white you will get either color with less problems breeding back to respective colors. Breed white & partridge together & it will take years to completely get the white out of partridge if you ever do. The white will also make the redish brown turn light brown to straw color as more generations are hatched. As for breeding partridge out of white, the white will take less time to over take the partridge color. Breeding back to parent you will still have a long lived color problem. But not as much breeding offspring back to white parent. Bradyj

Here are some pictures of a buff female from 2010. She is the last one from an old bloodline which had these charesteric broad heads. Her eyebrows are really heavy. Yesterday she layed her first egg. Last year she was with a roo who wasn't fertile. This year I want to breed as much young ones from her as I can. But is this type of head heritable?

Here are some pictures of a buff female from 2010. She is the last one from an old bloodline which had these charesteric broad heads. Her eyebrows are really heavy. Yesterday she layed her first egg. Last year she was with a roo who wasn't fertile. This year I want to breed as much young ones from her as I can. But is this type of head heritable?

I have found head type to be very heritable, however, the male will have as much influence.

Back
Top Bottom