Large Fowl Cochin Thread

I haven't been on here to post in quite some time after the site was updated- it was super slow on my phone. But I thought I would get back into the forum and start by posting a couple of pictures of the cockerel I've kept right now. He's about 8 months.

Question for Bo, or anyone who shows regularly. This cockerel has a point on his comb that has two tips. How seriously is this evaluated. Is it on the level of 6 vs. 5 points or more serious because of its irregularity. Just trying to get an idea how strongly you should consider this when culling. Obviously there are a lot more important things to evaluate first.

Question for Bo, or anyone who shows regularly. This cockerel has a point on his comb that has two tips. How seriously is this evaluated. Is it on the level of 6 vs. 5 points or more serious because of its irregularity. Just trying to get an idea how strongly you should consider this when culling. Obviously there are a lot more important things to evaluate first.
This is a good point (no pun intended). If I had hatched out many more birds this year and if the others ones I had hatched out compared even closely to this bird in type or development, I would have culled this guy, but none of them did (and this bird has exceeded my expectations in every other area besides his comb.). His comb to me, however, doesn't pose a serious problem in the breeding pens.

This is a good point (no pun intended). If I had hatched out many more birds this year and if the others ones I had hatched out compared even closely to this bird in type or development, I would have culled this guy, but none of them did (and this bird has exceeded my expectations in every other area besides his comb.). His comb to me, however, doesn't pose a serious problem in the breeding pens.
Yes, I don't intend to bash your beautiful bird! I'm sure he will produce nicely, but I would like to know how seriously a "ding" this is?

It's always something isn't it! A long quest for the perfect bird.

Last edited:
Yes, I don't intend to bash your beautiful bird! I'm sure he will produce nicely, but I would like to know how seriously a "ding" this is?

It's always something isn't it! A long quest for the perfect bird.
No offense taken. I know his comb is his fault. I normally don't show a bird that has any kind of easily identifiable fault- but I don't think it is a serious problem. Bo or Tom Roebuck would be best to answer, as you said.

if only I could get my hands on a "perfect" bird! Or at least a bird that I didn't have to clean before shows...that would be perfect enough for me.

I have a batch of silver laced cochin chicks I got and they have feathers coming in on their hocks (not sure what else to call it). Is this a good thing or a bad thing?
Thanks ahead of time!
Carol Ann

Most of the patterned variety of LF Cochins will look "hocky" at this age. Time will tell if they are actual vulture hocks which are stiff and point downward instead of softly curving inward around the back of the hock.

Clare

Boy howdy, this minor defect is a detriment to many a good bird in my honest opinion. Most folks I know are immediately drawn to the comb first and foremost due to color, size and placement on the bird; the comb is typically the first thing noticed and receives undue valuation in most instances. My advice is to evaluate the entire bird, and this fellow is a nice bird, and decide what you can correct and what is more difficult to correct. Combs can usually be corrected in a couple of generations as opposed to poor type, size, leg color or obvious disqualifications that tend to be carried as recessive. Remember that most deductions, which are not commonly used in the show room, are no more than three points; it is the cumulative effect of those deductions that keeps a bird from Champion Row; always use birds with the fewest defects.

Bo

I have a batch of silver laced cochin chicks I got and they have feathers coming in on their hocks (not sure what else to call it). Is this a good thing or a bad thing?
Thanks ahead of time!
Carol Ann
Cochins tend to feather at the points first; wings, feet and hocks and then everything else catches up. This is something you'll want to evaluate when they are a few months old, if the hock feathers are stiff and stick straight out instead of softer and curling back towards the opposing hock then you probably have vulture hocks. Just remember that large fowl males have stiffer feathers than the females and bantams. Approach this cautiously and if still in question get an experienced breeder to come and evaluate your flock for you and give you some pointers. If you wish you may post pictures of your Silver Laced when they get older and I'll give them a look.

Blessings,

Bo

I would like some evaluation on the weak and strong points of this chick. She wont be shown but I am wanting to learn more. Thanks!
She is a blue cochin six weeks old.

lol Zombie photo! Not her real eye color!

Back
Top Bottom