Large Fowl Cochin Thread

Just sneaking in here as I just joined the wonderful world of Cochins! Just purchased this pair from a local lady as well as her silkie flock. I can't believe how sweet and docile these guys are! Looking forward to this thread and learning from all you!
e59b0bf075268b80d5720584abf0a5b7_zpsdbcc865f.jpg

69609257ce25c035c0c86a512bc714b8_zpsed8cd772.jpg

Just sneaking in here as I just joined the wonderful world of Cochins! Just purchased this pair from a local lady as well as her silkie flock. I can't believe how sweet and docile these guys are! Looking forward to this thread and learning from all you!
e59b0bf075268b80d5720584abf0a5b7_zpsdbcc865f.jpg

69609257ce25c035c0c86a512bc714b8_zpsed8cd772.jpg
Welcome aboard!!
thumbsup.gif
a better breed you could not have chosen
wink.png
love.gif

Sunny is 6 months old. So if he is breeding my Rhode Island red what would the chicks look like? I was thinking about hatching some eggs in the spring. I have a mixture of hens, 1 each Rhode Island red, Dominick, polish, and Brahma. Which would be the best to hatch her eggs?

Hello to All fellow Cochin Breeders,

I will be making a LONG road trip from Kingsville, TX to Pratt, KS. We will traveling to the destination using I-35. Are there any Bantam Cochin or Large Fowl Cochin breeders along this route with live birds available for sale? Im not picky about color. I know hatching eggs are probably out of season but would consider their purchase as well. As far as a time frame, we are planning on this trip for the end of January. If you have birds available/hatching eggs, I would be willing to pay a deposit to put the birds on hold until I make the trip. PM or a reply would be appreciated. Thanks

Happy New Year everyone!
I'm new to this thread and have a few unrelated questions:

1. I'm trying to find Lemon Blue hatching eggs/shipped chicks - does anyone have recommendations?
2. I have seen someone post a picture of a cochin that has coloring just like a lemon pyle brahma. I love the creamy color and am wondering if this exists in LF cochins? The photo could have been mislabeled.
3. I have a young cockerel (18 weeks) and am not sure if he's worth keeping?

Happy New Year everyone!
I'm new to this thread and have a few unrelated questions:

1. I'm trying to find Lemon Blue hatching eggs/shipped chicks - does anyone have recommendations?
2. I have seen someone post a picture of a cochin that has coloring just like a lemon pyle brahma. I love the creamy color and am wondering if this exists in LF cochins? The photo could have been mislabeled.
3. I have a young cockerel (18 weeks) and am not sure if he's worth keeping?

In answer to questions 1 and 2; I have seen very few if any true lemon blue LF cochins, most are crosses between blues and buffs which result in a bird that has a light yellowish/orange hackle saddle and breast with the rest of the body being blue. True lemon blues are the result of using brown red cochins over blues or silver blues, these birds will have a light yellowish/gold hackle with the males saddles being the same, the breast will be laced, not smutty solid colored as the first cross I mentioned will have; the lacing will be crisp and clean with no shafting present and only the upper 1/3 of the breast will be laced if the coloring is correct.
Now, the third part of your question line refers to the cockerel in the picture and his quality and whether you should keep him. Keeping him would entirely depend on the purposes intended; do you desire to show, breed to the standard or just have a flock of colorful birds in the back yard. He is not fit for showing or breeding to achieve the written standard because he lacks overall breed type; cochins should be very round and fluffy in their appearance with soft rounded tails, the only thing this cockerel has that suggests cochin blood is the feathered feet. If you are looking for a colorful flock then he would certainly fit the bill, he is colorful and would be a nice addition to any backyard flock to add a spot of color and the unique look of feathered feet and shanks.
Be very cautious when acquiring lemon blues and make sure they are true lemon blues and not just a cochin conglomeration. LF brown reds are very hard to come by so the lemon blues will be just as difficult to come by since the former is used to make the latter

Blessings,

Bo

Back
Top Bottom