Large Fowl Cochin Thread

Pics
Having just gone through the same thing TWICE....with our batch of 4 month old cochins and then again with our 2 month old cochins, unfortunately I am pretty sure you have roos. I feel your pain as my daughters and I were all devastated! Out of 18 cochins altogether, we sadly only ended up with 4 pullets...one of which we gave away thinking we had more girls! UGH! I wish you the best of luck.

I posted this message in Raising Chicks, but unfortunately, I don't think a lot of vetrans go there....so I am asking all of you! I have cochins and a few other breeds...my dilemmna is that I have a group of chicks that are 4 months old and a group of chicks that are 2 months old...I have heard and read several places that is best to introduce them at nighttime by putting them all in the coop together after dark. However, should I put the younger ones in the coop first and them "introduce" the older ones??? Or should I do it the other way around "introduce" the youngers with the older ones already in the coop??? There are 7 of each group...should I do a few at a time, or all at once and let them work it out??? Thanks for your suggestion...advice...thank you.

Quote:
not just chickens... in the animal world grey is blue.. in dogs cats horses, cattle /,.... I personally find the blue animals and chickens gorgeous...

smiles and welcome to LF Cochin's .. they are sooo great...

)O(
Pink

Yup, I still love these guys! I have 3 barred rock hens led by a Cochin roo and well...they are lazy. I have to take away their feeder during the day or the 4 of them will just stand around it and eat. And as far as eating bugs? They are picky bug eaters and will only eat certain kinds and they only seem to have a select few they like.
Now, my Cochin pair on the other hand are amazing! They wander around their penned in area, happily chirping away eating any bug that dares fly by. They even eat the mosquitos that land on us! That's a hundred times better than any mosquito repellent Walmart has to offer!

Anyway, I am rambling as usual. I really wanted to ask you all if you had any good books or websites you could recommend on Cochin coloration and genetics? I am thinking that next spring I want to start a small breeding project and these cochins are what I would like to work with. I plan on spending the winter reading up and see where it takes me!

Quote:
I would also be interested in reading up on those things too! For all of you experienced Cochin folks out there, can you point us in the right direction?? Thank you!

I just wanted to remind all Cochins International members to send in their breeder info for the Breeder Directory. The July deadline stated in the Newsletter has been extended. Please PM or email me if you have any questions. Thanx!

~Gail

LF Columbian project

just thought I'd share some pics of my project columbian babies, they are a product of a very typey albeit mismarked (lacking hackle and wing markings) columbian standard cochin daddy I got from Ralph Phillips when he sold out. I am pretty hopful they will molt out of the speckling. Any feedback and thoughts are appreciated.

Lil man out for a stroll
81666_dscf3799.jpg

bottoms up
81666_lil_man1.jpg

Sissy
81666_sissy.jpg

Back
Top Bottom