Large hard knot on right chest of chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickmamat, Apr 5, 2018.

1. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Addict

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    If you are worried you can remove the food overnight and check them in the morning. The lump should have gone down noticeably.

chickmamat likes this.
  2. Redhead Rae

Redhead Rae Chickens, chickens everywhere!

Jan 4, 2017
    Braxton County, WV
    Looks like a full crop to me

Just FYI, the crop and gizzard are completely separate organs. The crop is a food pouch at the end of a chicken's esophagus where chickens can store a lot of food that they slowly digest overnight. The gizzard, is the equivalent of their stomach, and is in their abdominal cavity. It is a hard, muscular organ that uses the grit a bird ingests to grind their food to a digestible mash.

3. LoveDatChickenLife

LoveDatChickenLife Chirping

Jul 9, 2017
    Thank You!!!

4. chickendreams24

chickendreams24 Crowing

Jul 30, 2015
    Wisconsin, USA
    You beat me to it. Thanks for pointing this out for them.

The crop and gizzard are very different. The crop having 2 or three, I forget which, thin layers of tissue. The crop is a thick strong muscle that can be cleaned out and eaten, it has an inside liner that gets peeled out to clean it for eating. While they're both part of the digestive processes they serve different purposes. From beak, esophagus to crop and then gizzard.

5. chickmamat

chickmamat Chirping

Apr 3, 2018
    California Desert
    UPDATE: I removed their food last night and checked on them this am and their crops did go completely down! They went back a little after I put their food back this morning. Thank you everyone!

Redhead Rae likes this.
  6. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Addict

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    :thumbsup

Good deal!! All is well!

chickmamat likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: