Large mass under quail wing! *graphic photos*

That lump looks like a hematoma to me. Sudden trauma can cause them to materialize in minutes. Good news is they aren't life threatening most of the time.

You can treat it or wait until it absorbs into his tissues, which could take a month or more. Or it can be lanced with a hypodermic syringe. You can get those on line where pet vet supplies are sold.

I had a tree I was felling fall the wrong way and it hit my forearm. It was enough force to break my arm, but luckily my bones appear to be made of strong stuff. The hematoma, however, was certainly more pain than I preferred to live with for weeks, so I saw a surgeon who lanced it with a big syringe and needle large enough to drive a truck through. He stuck the needle in at the base of the hematoma and pulled the blood out of the swelling. It took several sticks until he had sucked out enough blood and fluid where it no longer hurt like the devil was chomping my arm.

It cost me $500. I vowed next time I'd do it myself, it's such a simple straightforward procedure.

He stuck the needle in at the base of the hematoma and pulled the blood out of the swelling. It took several sticks until he had sucked out enough blood and fluid where it no longer hurt like the devil was chomping my arm.

It cost me $500. I vowed next time I'd do it myself, it's such a simple straightforward procedure.

I've done something similar with blisters on my fingers--insert a sewing needle to make a hole, pull the needle back out, gently squish the blister so the fluid goes out the hole. They feel better when the fluid is no longer stretching the skin.

But that's a very different size than what you're describing!

Hematomas are much larger than blood blisters. Mine was the size of an egg. They shouldn't be casually dealt with by merely sticking with a needle and squeezing or more trauma could occur.

If this were my bird, I wouldn't think twice about lancing it with a hypodermic syringe. It has to hurt like the dickens. It would make him so much more comfortable, and he can then carry on with his quail bizniss.

Hematomas are much larger than blood blisters. Mine was the size of an egg.

Mine weren't blood blisters, just the normal blisters full of clear fluid that happen when you use an unfamiliar tool or wear the wrong shoes. Given how much better they feel with the fluid out, I was thinking about how much the big hematoma must hurt!

Since OP has a vet appointment (probably happening now), hopefully the bird will either feel better soon (if it's a hematoma that can be drained), or at least get properly diagnosed.

That lump looks like a hematoma to me. Sudden trauma can cause them to materialize in minutes. Good news is they aren't life threatening most of the time.

You can treat it or wait until it absorbs into his tissues, which could take a month or more. Or it can be lanced with a hypodermic syringe. You can get those on line where pet vet supplies are sold.

I had a tree I was felling fall the wrong way and it hit my forearm. It was enough force to break my arm, but luckily my bones appear to be made of strong stuff. The hematoma, however, was certainly more pain than I preferred to live with for weeks, so I saw a surgeon who lanced it with a big syringe and needle large enough to drive a truck through. He stuck the needle in at the base of the hematoma and pulled the blood out of the swelling. It took several sticks until he had sucked out enough blood and fluid where it no longer hurt like the devil was chomping my arm.

I do not envy your medical history. :(
*wraps you in bubble wrap*
🥰

I’d definitely research a lot and definitely get the vets opinion before putting him down. I have a pullet that I though I’d have to put down multiple times (not walking for two months, cross beak, went into shock from flystrike) and she is now a happy normal chicken! They can surprise you sometimes.

Because the vet closed at 5pm to public they have kept him there, and said they are going to take some pressure off the joint by draining some of the fluid/blood and strapping the wing to the body of the bird he said it looks like the bird has broken the wing and every time it moves the wing it makes the area worse so i assume that means a hematoma he said the bird will need to be on antibiotics aswel

I'm glad you have a diagnosis and a plan of action! I hope they dont charge you an arm and a leg for keeping him there since it doesnt sound like it was up to you

No it is fine we can do a payment plan anyway. I work and my partner works so it wont take long to get paid off, it usually is not expensive anyway

Back
Top Bottom