large open wound on hen

momto4

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 9, 2009
I have a hen that was hurt under her wing because I had too many roosters. The wound is large and and the muscles and tendons are exposed. She limps, but is very fast and very alert. I had separated her from the other hens and sold all my roosters except for my silkie. The wound was still open, but dry for several days and I felt sorry for her because she was in a small area, so I put her with the others and they made her bleed again. It looks horribly painful and I don't know how she is still alive! I separated her again. I have wanted to put her down, but my husband said since she is up and hopping and doesn't act in pain, we should just put a saddle on her and put her back with the others. Can a chicken be okay with a 5inch wound with the muscle and tendons exposed and still live not in pain? She is fast and alert. She has been this way for over a week. I have been putting Hydrogen peroxide on the wound. Has anyone had a chicken with a wound like this and had them live like that? Do you think she is in pain, even though she doesn't act like it? Would covering it with a saddle be enough to keep her comfortable and alive? I just want to do what is best for her. I think having all those roosters may have produced some aggressive birds. I have one with missing tail feathers and another with some feathers missing on her back. Some of them have missing feathers on their heads. This is my first time raising chickens and any advise would be helpful! thanks!

If she is strong and eating, there is a good chance she will survive. You need to keep her separated from the others until she heals. They will peck her wound and kill her. Chickens will literally eat each other alive if they see blood or a wound. Not the most pleasant side of them, I know, but true.
I don't know it off the top of my head, but if you use the search feature you can find an aspirin dose to use in her water.
Please keep us posted!
A picture would also be helpful.
Make sure she is getting good quality food for her recovery, and keep her in a warm place.

I had one who tangled with a dog about a year ago, they tore her up pretty badly, big hunks of skin and feathers loose under her wings in a fashion similar to what you are describing. Debated putting her down, but she was one of my hatchlings, and the only one that survived that massacre, so I kept her in my bathtub in a laundry basket to start with, then, as she got stronger, just in the tub. I kept cleaning the wound with peroxide, and putting Neosporin on it, and after 2 weeks, she improved so much, I was able to put her back in with the others. That was before I discovered Blu-Cote (sp?). That seems to seal the wound, and acts as a styptic and antibiotic as well. Plus, it changes the color, so it doesn't resemble blood. HTH. Janet

yes, i have had a chciken like that only the rooster was to aggressive and tore a large hole in her head and over half of her back.( it was gross) keep her away from the others until it has completely healed ( mine took about a month) and it starts to look normal agian and then place her back with the others and keep an eye on her for a few days. if she looks to be doing fine then you are in the clear. She should live i have found chickens to be very persisting birds. ( plus, this will give you extra bonding time) *sighs contently* I just love chickens:)

When I had this happen to one of my hens I used "blu-kote" spray on the wound.. I had read the other chickens will peck at the red wound and so I figured I would camouflage it with the blu-kote, I had to reapply every day or two, but I was checking and cleaning the wound anyway.

the only downfall to blukote is the color gets on you. Wear gloves if you dont want purple fingers.

Thank you for all the suggestions! I am amazed how much a chicken can go through and still be alive!! I will keep trying to heal her up! She has quit laying eggs. Will this start again? Her poo is also a little runny at times--is that normal? I may try to post a picture of the wound! Thanks again!

I have a hen right now in the same situation. Did yours survive? I hope so.

Did you give any kind of oral antibiotics or just on the wound itself?

Hydrogen peroxide kills the granulation tissue that needs to grow on the wound for it to heal. It's OK for 1st aid, but not for daily use. I would use betadine solution to clean once, let it dry completely, and then something like neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment if the wound isn't draining. The idea is to keep the area moist and clean, but not soppy to allow the granulation tissue and then skin cells to cover the open area. If tendons are visible, they must not be allowed to dry out. For future cleaning as needed, you can use a mild salt water (saline) solution, then reapply an oil-based ointment. Healthy granulation tissue looks bright red and a bit like raw ground beef in the wound bed (over the exposed muscle), and is what you want... skin/scar will form over the granulation tissue.

I have no experience with Blu-cote, but my understanding is that it is primarily to keep other chickens from picking. I think you need to keep her separate from the flock until this is WELL on it's way to healing, then consider Blu-cote instead of ointment. I assume it has an oil/zinc base with dye/gentian blue.

Lots of protein during healing. Consider systemic antibiotics if there are signs and symptoms of infection. I imagine she's not laying because her system is using so much energy to heal this wound right now.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom