Large open wound with maggots

sarajanem

Chirping
Jun 30, 2021
I found one of my young hens with skinned open wounds on her back and under her wing. Full of maggots. The attack must have happened when they were out yesterday, as they were in the run all day today. I’ve isolated her indoors and cleaned it with peroxide twice, and I’m about to go pack it with neosporin and bag balm. Any other tips? Should I try sugar/coconut oil/Vaseline? I’ve read conflicting info about all 3.

Tepid baths, and cleaning out all the maggots, a couple times a day until all the maggots are gone, along with neosporin after each cleaning session, should be sufficient. I wouldn't do the sugar/coconut oil/Vaseline.

Be sure it doesn't get a chill from the baths. Keep it wrapped in a towel afterwards, until dry.

Nuthatched- should I not use the neosporin if there are maggots present again when I recheck? I’m out of peroxide for the night but will get some in the morning.

getaclue- I keep reading to keep it moist actually, is this incorrect?

I found one of my young hens with skinned open wounds on her back and under her wing. Full of maggots. The attack must have happened when they were out yesterday, as they were in the run all day today. I’ve isolated her indoors and cleaned it with peroxide twice, and I’m about to go pack it with neosporin and bag balm. Any other tips? Should I try sugar/coconut oil/Vaseline? I’ve read conflicting info about all 3.
Please post some photos.

You will need to flush all the maggots off her and out of the wounds. Peroxide is ok for an initial flush, but you can use warm soapy water. The maggots need to come off before you start treating the wounds.

Once the maggots are gone, then you can use plain neosporin on the wounds. Check the wounds in the morning for more maggot activity. Flush it out again if there's more.

Maggots can hatch in less than 24 hours in hot humid weather.

Yes, after a bathing/flushing out/picking out maggot session, and you see no more maggots, you can apply the neosporin. It helps keep the area moist, and disinfected. It sometimes takes several de-maggot sessions to get all the ones from inside a wound.

If you have an ear syringe, or a medicine dosage syringe, those can help you flush out the wound too. Just don't flush with so much pressure you do more damage.

No maggots today, just some dead ones. Here is a photo (GRAPHIC)

Attachments

• DE5789D1-41D2-4D58-B88D-109789A83642.jpeg
    DE5789D1-41D2-4D58-B88D-109789A83642.jpeg
    571.1 KB · Views: 70
Weird bump under her wing :(

Attachments

• A93D869C-8FF7-4FD6-980C-FDB4580A8CF8.jpeg
    A93D869C-8FF7-4FD6-980C-FDB4580A8CF8.jpeg
    434.7 KB · Views: 71
She is pooping (some blood in there) and laying, I have to force water. Doing soapy water and neosporin now. Thanks y’all :(

Back
Top Bottom