Large OverEZ coop ventilation

Ccort

Crowing
Dec 30, 2021
Kentucky, USA
Well, my large OverEZ came! The freight company dumped it off FULLY IN THE ROAD and refused to return to put in in the driveway. The base had fully broken wood with the broken pieces completely missing. A vent is missing and the backside has definite damage to every corner. The front lock was also broken off and the lid to where the eggs will hopefully be does not fit correctly due to, well, some of the above.

Needless to say, not super impressed with all that.

However, we needed to get this going asap and hubby bought materials and made it work. Of course, that means even more money. Ugh.

Upgrades....for the missing vent, couldn't we just put some hardware cloth across the hole? For the second vent...these things are flimsy....couldn't we just take off the plastic vent and also put hardware cloth To cover the hole?

For the area in the front where we collect eggs, I thought it would lock shut but it doesn't and the top of the door doesn't shut fully. Easy fix for making sure a raccoon doesn't shove up the door and pop right on in?

If we purchased a couple of floor vents like you have in your living room and cut a hole and screwed those in near the roof, would that work well for ventilation and being screwed in...wouldn't that keep predators out?

I also plan to put hardware cloth over the window screens. We live in Kentucky so the predators are hawks, opossums, raccoons, possible snakes but never see them in our yard.

Lastly, do you use nails on the hardware cloth in the coop or something else?

That's really dreadful. You need to take photos of all the damage, contact the vendor, and demand compensation. You spent a lot of money and are supposed to get an intact product, not a wreck that you have to repair.

Know any lawyers in your social circles? Church, clubs, etc?

Little floor vents aren't going to cut it for ventilation because they give square inches when you need square feet.

airflow-crayon-png.3007334

Hardware cloth can be secured with screws and fender washers -- like this:
0515211639-jpg.2684649

If you show us photos of the coop, it's setting, and the damage we should be able to help you sort it out.

x2 on screws & fender washers to attach hardware cloth (also makes it easy to remove if needed for maintenance or repairs).

coop4.jpg

If you choose to use louvered vents (I have a few) for extra safety it'd still be advisable to put hardware cloth behind them, to exclude any possible very tiny pests like mice or smaller snakes.

I really hope you get some money back for all the damage, you should've gotten the coop in good condition and shouldn't be having to do repairs to a new structure.

I have been in touch with them and am waiting to hear if I will get a partial refund. I contacted then immediately when it was delivered in the road. As of right now I would absolutely NOT recommend this company. Lets see if they make it right but so far it's been a headache and far too much money for this fiasco.

I have been in touch with them and am waiting to hear if I will get a partial refund. I contacted then immediately when it was delivered in the road. As of right now I would absolutely NOT recommend this company. Lets see if they make it right but so far it's been a headache and far too much money for this fiasco.
Best of luck! It's really unfortunate that it wasn't delivered in better shape. I know a lot of people go for this style of coop since it's one of the better prefabs, but I've never heard of someone having it dropped off on the road with broken and missing pieces.

You and I had the same problem at the exact same time with the same coop.

Where do you live in KY? We're in Green county. We contacted OverEZ and they sent us replacement pieces and refunded us a whooping $100. 🙄 Nothing compared to the damage that was done to the pieces.

I have a large OverEZ coop. I have had mine for about a decade now. It appears they have made some changes. The nest box lid locks open and closed on mine. Mine only had the window screens for protection when the windows are open. So I installed 1 inch by 1/2 inch welded wire over the windows. The nest box being right under the windows, makes a handy scaffold for a predator to sit on as it easily rips through a window screen. Ventilation on mine was in the form of two 3 inch round vents. One in each upper corner of the end walls. Like you are thinking of doing. I added four floor register covers. Two in the front and two in the back. I placed them a few inches below the eaves. It has to be a strong blowing rain for any moisture to get in the coop. I have had the bedding get a little damp, but never wet. Even with the windows open. No matter which chickens I keep in this coop. They scratch the nesting material out within a day.

In case someone sees my original post, I wanted to update that OverEZ did not refund me in any way or send replacement materials. We had hours of work to do in order to repair the broken coop they sent AND my husband had to leave work early so we could take apart the entire pallet, broken and unbroken pieces of the brand new coop, and get it OFF the road. Be warned...not a very professional company.

Back
Top Bottom