Large scab under Cockerel wing

Chicken_addicted

In the Brooder
Jun 9, 2021
Hi all,
We added 4 young ones to.our flock of 7 hens. All are under a year. The 4 babes are 13-14 weeks old. The babes don't interact with the hens because they are pecking and so they stay away. That being said, today I went out and found this giant scab under the wing of our cockerel. It's about 4-5 inches in length and dry yo the touch. Not sure if he will heal or if I should cull him. (We can't have roosters in our area anyway I was hoping to get some viable eggs to hatch later). Is this something I should be concerned about the rest of the flock? I have not been able to find anything on Google.
Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• 20220220_142814.jpg
    20220220_142814.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 52
Hi all,
We added 4 young ones to.our flock of 7 hens. All are under a year. The 4 babes are 13-14 weeks old. The babes don't interact with the hens because they are pecking and so they stay away. That being said, today I went out and found this giant scab under the wing of our cockerel. It's about 4-5 inches in length and dry yo the touch. Not sure if he will heal or if I should cull him. (We can't have roosters in our area anyway I was hoping to get some viable eggs to hatch later). Is this something I should be concerned about the rest of the flock? I have not been able to find anything on Google.
Thanks for your help!
It's already healing. Just need to keep it clean, & moist.

Moisten with Non Pain Relieving Triple Antibiotic Ointment.

4 young ones to.our flock of 7 hens. All are under a year. The 4 babes are 13-14 weeks old. The babes don't interact with the hens because they are pecking and so they stay away.
How is this cockerel doing?

Photos of all of him and the other youngsters plus your setup may be helpful.
How much space do you have for 11 birds?
What are you feeding including treats.

Check him over really well, looks like he has more injuries than just under his wings. Look at his joint and all over his body.
If you need to, separate the youngsters so they are not being injured so badly from the older hens and wait until they are more mature, that you can provide more space and integrate more slowly.
1645540346884.jpeg

He is doing much better the scabbing is healing. On his leg that must have been poop. No scabs anywhere else. He is white with black and brown speckles and the bottom right are his feathers.
For my set up I have a 8x4 coop and a 20x5 run for them but they also free range a lot in my yard. It had been warmer so they were getting out more as snow and ice was melting but we are having a hard freeze with wind chill at 0 right now so the babies are l choosing to spend time in the coop. They have been with the flock for 5 weeks now. I will have to look and see if I can separate them for a bit. He is the only one with an injury and he seemed to be the one getting along the best! Tha ks for the suggestions and heads-up to check the rest of him!!! I appreciate it!

For my set up I have a 8x4 coop and a 20x5 run for them but they also free range a lot in my yard.
I'm glad that was just dirt/debris and to hear he's healing!

Coop space is a little tight, so you may want to consider expanding when possible, but sometimes you have to deal with what you have.
Chickens don't like to walk out on much snow or ice, that's for sure, so being cooped up, they may be a bit more territorial right now, hopefully things will settle down.
I don't get continual snow and ice like a lot of folks do, but when I get some, I try to slow clear out some spaces and add straw, even over top of the snow or ice, that way they are a bit more inclined to come out for a little while. Temps can be brutal, but if they see they can go out for a few minutes, it's seems to lessen tensions.
Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom