Large White Turkeys Starter

Finnisher

Chirping
Apr 26, 2016
Hello everyone.

I called multiple feed stores and they don't carry turkey feed, the two stores that carried it. Both of them have only 25% minimum, one of the stores said they've been using this feed for 25 years on bronze and white turkeys. Do you think I should buy this feed?

Thanks

What is your location?

A lot of people start their game birds on a 24-25% feed. I believe I did when I first started hatching turkeys and guineas, before I found my other local feed store and stopped buying it at TSC. Even the game bird starter that I buy at my Southern States is 28% I believe, which is not a huge difference.

I'm east of the GTA in Ontario. TSC doesn't carry the feed and don't have it to order. Did you experience a difference in mortality or growth rate from the 28% vs the 25%?

Not at all, actually. However, I have not seemed to experience the mortality rates that others do, calling poults delicate and difficult to raise. Mine go outside within a week and thrive just fine.

Also, I've taken to fermenting my feed for everyone, which supposedly raises the protein percentage (by breaking down a lot of the sugars thus lowering the carbohydrate percentage)

Could you please explain how you ferment feed? Do you feed fermented feed to day olds?

I have raised poults on 18% chick starter. They are slower growing but no deaths, and they are perfectly healthy. Last year's batch received a daily treat of scrambled eggs to boosts the protein enough so they grew more normally. I'm not necessarily recommending it. It's hard to find fresh game bird starter around here so I have been experimenting to see how it goes. So I wouldn't worry they will die on 24%.

Back
Top Bottom