Larkwell Valley (2023)

Pics
We considered some tuna or canned chicken, but don't want the chickens to consider the bait. For whatever reason, they steer clear if the marshmallows.
These two would be delighted to help with coon control.
IMG_0822.JPG

Caught a racoon in the live trap last night. Big frame, but looks pretty skinny, which would explain the different feeding habits compared to last year. This one cared more about eating than killing, where last year, the two we caught would kill multiple birds and only eat little amounts from each. Both bodies we found out of the 3 it got had large amounts eaten, and we never found anything from Mrs. Reynolds, which was the first one that went missing

Racoon was a female, we're thinking she was the mama from last year and that the ones we had last year were the babies that were sent away because they were too old. No way to prove that theory, other than we're both pretty sure she's had at least one litter. So, here's hoping that she hasn't had any kits this year, and if she did, that they're too young to start hunting yet. May sound awful, but my flock comes first and they have no business coming this close to my home and barn.

Processed one of my giant boys today, the one that was constantly grabbing me when I would open his door. Really expected large breasts from him, and they were bigger than the sexlink, but definitely not what I was expecting. He was just big boned. It was nice though, I could actually see what everything was inside when I checked for any tumors starting.

We had to put Chuckles/Bowie down today too. He went down last night, and it wouldn't be fair to put it off.

These dudes are fearless. Unfortunately that fearlessness did result in one of my yellows getting snagged by something, likely a big bird. So I'm down to 6 and 8. These guys are way more friendly than the Metzer ones are. I'm thinking it's the muscovies that initiated it (the solid yellow is the one I think is imprinted partially). They also absolutely absolutely love swimming in the water bowls. Thankfully it's hot enough outside that I don't worry about it too much.
20230609_103443.jpg

These dudes are fearless. Unfortunately that fearlessness did result in one of my yellows getting snagged by something, likely a big bird. So I'm down to 6 and 8. These guys are way more friendly than the Metzer ones are. I'm thinking it's the muscovies that initiated it (the solid yellow is the one I think is imprinted partially). They also absolutely absolutely love swimming in the water bowls. Thankfully it's hot enough outside that I don't worry about it too much.View attachment 3535324
They also have doubled in size in the 9 days I've had them

Back
Top Bottom