Lassie! Quick, go get Mom! Chicken fell down a hole!

miss_jayne

Lady_Jayne
11 Years
Jun 26, 2008
Columbiaville, MI
Holy Cats!

just went out to lock everyone up for the night. Got the Meaties into the tractor and i keep hearing, 'peep peep peep'.
hu.gif

i look down and hear it come out of a HUGE gopher hole in the ground. (about 2 1/2 feet deep!!! how did i not break my ankle out there before?
roll.png

let me help you with a visual...
a. I HATE PUTTING MY HAND INTO ANYTHING I CANNOT SEE
b. I AM TERRIFIED OF ANIMALS HIDING IN HOLES

i am out in the dark rooting around in a tiny hole on top but huge underground. i am saying out loud, "PLEASE GOD, DON'T LET ANYTHING BUT THE CHICKEN BE IN THERE!" i cannot see or feel the chicken, but i can hear it.

this runs through my mind...DIG HIM OUT! no...could end up suffocating him.
then i remember every t.v. show about kids falling down wells (i.e Little House on the Prairie ha ha) do i tunnel in from the side? what-the-heck-am-i-gonna-do-Lord-help-me!

VOILA! brain buster!

grabbed some cracked corn and threw it into the opening of the hole. i can see feathers glowing in the dark. i could just barely touch him if i smushed my arm down into the hole.

i was finally able to reach in just far enough to push the chicken down and roll him with my hands and grab his feet to pull him through. he JUST fit through the hole. totally covered with dirt and a little chilly, but could care less when he saw the cracked corn in the tractor.

i feel like a one girl rescue team! i am frozen and dirty with wet knees in the pants, but i feel pretty good that my little Meatie is safe. (for now! ha!)

looks like i have some sand to move tomorrow morning!

Congrats on getting him. I almost had a tragic ending with my serama. The dummy went in the middle of the road and a car turned and speeded up to hit him. I gave the guy "the bird" and ran to save my baby. WTH! Why would he try to hit him? Did not get his plate # but i'll be sure to look for his car next time. :thun

Good save!
I've gotta say that's one predicament my chooks haven't gotten themselves into YET; despite the plentiful armadillo holes to choose from.

i am just glad i heard him. the others were peeping and excited about the corn so it is odd that i caught his little sounds from under the ground.

Wonder Woman has got nothing on me...where is my Chicken Avenger cape?

the helmet looks like a big, red comb and the belt buckle is a Swarovski crystal encrusted Egg! the boots are not foxy, just functional muck boots...a heroine knows her limits!
gig.gif

You deserve a great big hug...
hugs.gif
You overcame your fear (I have the same ones, by the way) and saved that chicks life. You go girl!!!

Thank you miss_jayne. I was so angry and upset. He is my little roo and I just got him on saturday. I put him and his girl in a cage and they will only free range in the house until I can make them a secure run.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom