Last check, promise!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cogorman, Jun 11, 2010.

1. cogorman

cogorman Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2010
    MidMissouri
    [​IMG] The two chickies I have questions about were last seen by BYC folks at 4 weeks old. Now they are 8 weeks today and after I get opinions from you nice people I'll just wait it out, which is so hard. I wish my city would allow roosters because at this point I'm pretty attached! SOO rooster or hen?
    The first three picture are of Omlette (please not Oliver)and she's on the left in the 3rd picture. RIR I think and pretty sure a hen but...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next up is Lucy (please not Larry) Not sure what she is besides absolutely beautiful.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for your opinions!!!

2. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    I am gonna guess that the 1st pics is a hen, not sure about #2...roo? idk I would have to compare to the other chicks the same age. My mixed breed flock was easy to tell even though they are all different colors. the roos were obviously more red in the combs, despite the size of the comb..
    edit....my chicks are 10 1/2 wks old and very obvious which are hens/roos....You will know soon enough!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  3. dolly85

dolly85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    Both are pretty young pullets.

4. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    Both look like girls to me. My RIR had a bigger comb and wattles at 5 weeks and turned out to be a roo. I don't see wattles on Omelette or Lucy. Not the expert, have chickens for just over a year but I'd say pullets

Edited .... forgot half sentence....[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  5. cogorman

Apr 3, 2010
    MidMissouri
    Thanks! All of the birds in the pictures are from the same hatch...even the ones not in question.

6. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

At 8 weeks they would have had more color to the combs and probably more pronounced waddles...I think its pretty safe to say you still have an Omlette and a Lucy.

7. cogorman

Apr 3, 2010
    MidMissouri
    Here's a better shot of Lucy's full body. Thanks again for all of your help. From first putting eggs in the incubator to building the coop to hand holding while I sweat the hen/roo dilemma, you people have been great. And my son now spends more time watching the flock than playing video games. Maybe he won't turn into a vidiot after all!
    [​IMG]

8. Chicken Bee

Chicken Bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    Long Island
    I'm no expert, mind you. But she looks like a hen to me. [​IMG]

9. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    As above....and she is very pretty too

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by