1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Last Question Tonight! Really! Smelly Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by peepinglaura, Mar 12, 2009.

1. peepinglaura

peepinglaura Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Does a developing egg that has gone bad smell wretchedly foul, like boiled eggs left in the sun, or just a bit off, like if you really breathe in deeply at the shell, it smells like a coop that could do with some cleaning? After I hold an egg, if the smell lingers on the fingertips till I wash my hand does that mean it's bad?

It's a deep green egg, and my candling flashlight just faded greatly, so I can't see a freakin' thing in there.

Laura

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  2. dave_Cash69

dave_Cash69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    kaintucky
    it might be dead

3. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Delicious... sounds rotten. It might explode, so I'd get it out fast.

4. equus2

equus2 Chillin' With My Peeps

You'll know![​IMG]

5. peepinglaura

Mar 9, 2009
    I will proofread. will proofread. I will proofread.

I meant "coop" not "cop" that needs cleaning. Not making fun of police officers!

I edited my post.

Whew.

Laura

6. peepinglaura

Mar 9, 2009
    I should have added that these eggs have been under a hen for 21 days, so maybe I'm just smelling funky chicken smell?

Laura

7. perrym1962

perrym1962 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    Eastview, Ky..
    Yeah I would carefully get rid of it. Soon. Eewww...[​IMG]

8. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Odds are it's rotten. If you really don't want to risk losing a baby chick you can tap a hole in the wide end over the air cell. You'll know for sure whether it's rotten then and if it's not it still has a chance of hatching. However you risk exploding a rotten egg all over and that smell will linger forever.

9. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I wouldn't get rid of it just yet. Seriously. This has been sitting under a warm, moist chicken rump for 21 days. How do you think YOU would smell??? I have had rotten eggs and believe me, I KNEW!!! There was no doubt in my mind they were bad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by