Last Question Tonight! Really! Smelly Eggs

peepinglaura

Songster
10 Years
Mar 9, 2009
Does a developing egg that has gone bad smell wretchedly foul, like boiled eggs left in the sun, or just a bit off, like if you really breathe in deeply at the shell, it smells like a coop that could do with some cleaning? After I hold an egg, if the smell lingers on the fingertips till I wash my hand does that mean it's bad?

It's a deep green egg, and my candling flashlight just faded greatly, so I can't see a freakin' thing in there.

Laura

Last edited:
You'll know!
sad.png

I will proofread. will proofread. I will proofread.

I meant "coop" not "cop" that needs cleaning. Not making fun of police officers!

I edited my post.

Whew.

Laura

I should have added that these eggs have been under a hen for 21 days, so maybe I'm just smelling funky chicken smell?

Laura

Odds are it's rotten. If you really don't want to risk losing a baby chick you can tap a hole in the wide end over the air cell. You'll know for sure whether it's rotten then and if it's not it still has a chance of hatching. However you risk exploding a rotten egg all over and that smell will linger forever.

I wouldn't get rid of it just yet. Seriously. This has been sitting under a warm, moist chicken rump for 21 days. How do you think YOU would smell??? I have had rotten eggs and believe me, I KNEW!!! There was no doubt in my mind they were bad.

Back
Top Bottom