Last Year I Started Beekeeping - So Exciting

It's sooooooooo nice filling up the bee feeders now that it is cool in the mornings. I don't have to put my bee suit on as they are still clustered up in the morning. So much easier.

I have a question about beekeeping... If someone is allergic to bees and gets stung by one of your bees.. Can the person sue you? I know nothing about bees but i want to Learn.

People can sue for almost anything. Whether it is a valid suit is another story. Bees are everywhere and unless they person was very close to your hives they would have to prove that the bee was one of yours.

If you take proper steps to make sure that your hives are located in a proper location with limited access to the general public you should be fine. Know the laws where you live and make sure to follow regulations on setbacks.

I just made some "Bee Candy" for winter feeding of my bees. This batch made 5 pans and I need to make 11 more pans this weekend. It is mostly sugar and water with a little Honey B Healthy added ~ it smells wonderful!
droolin.gif

There are loads of different recipes for "Bee Candy" on the internet.

This one calls for 25 pounds of sugar ~ but I cut the recipe in half to make it easier to work with. It is pretty much the same as making candy or long cooked fudge.

I used 12.5 pounds of sugar, 1.5 quarts of water, 3 teaspoons of white vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon of "Real Salt" (Real Salt, brand name, is not processed or bleached and has still minerals in it) and 3 teaspoons of Honey B Healthy (optional).

In a large pot bring the water, salt & vinegar to a boil, slowly add the sugar making sure it is completely dissolved. Bring mixture to 230 degrees (soft ball) and keep it there for 10 minutes ~ do not stir. Remove from heat and allow to cool to 150 degrees ~ this can take several hours ~ you can speed this up by sitting the pot in a sink of cold water. Once the syrup reaches 150 degrees, stir in the Honey B Healthy if desired. Stir with a large spoon until syrup begins to whiten. QUICKLY pour into prepared pans. Mixture will harden very fast at this point. I use metal pie pans lined with wax paper. Allow to cool overnight then remove from the pan. I peel off the wax paper and wrap in plastic wrap until ready to put on the hives. Sometimes the candy will break but that is not a problem for the bees.

Bee candy can be placed on top of the frames or between the inner & top cover. We made spacer boxes out scrap wood that are about 1.5 inches deep and place this "candy feeder" between the inner and top cover to allow space for the bee candy. Do not completely block the hole in the inner cover. We actually drill an extra hole for ventilation and place the candy over the center hole. The candy will be hard, but moisture from the hive will help to soften it. This candy is meant to serve as an emergency food for the bees in late winter in case they run out of honey.

I also know commercial beekeepers that instead of making bee candy, just take a paper towel and lay it over the hole in the inner cover, lightly mist it with water then pour a 5 pound bag of granulated white cane sugar on it. The bees will eat through the paper towel and feed on the sugar. Use only granulated white cane sugar to feed bees. Powdered sugar often has other additives in it and brown or raw sugar has molasses in it which gives bees dysentery and can kill then.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom