Last Year I Started Beekeeping - So Exciting

Hi there. My bees are coming Friday (excited, a little nervous, excited again!) I need to make sugar syrup, can I make it today and have it be ok for Friday? Or is it necessary to make it the day you put it in the feeder?

Congratulations! Yes ~ you can make it now for Friday. Just keep it at room temperature out of the heat / sun until you put it on to feed. If it gets too hot or old it can get moldy.

Well, it was a hard winter here in Salt Lake, with two separate stretches of 10 days of below freezing temps. My valiant little girls made it through with winter, only to be finished off by a late cold snap(three days of below freezing). Very sad.
The good news is I am now running three hives, my little Warre with it's replacement Italians; and two Horizontal Top Bar hives, one with Italians and the other with Carnolians, for a Honey Co-Op. The Flow is here, and they are nicely settled in, bringing back pollen, and building comb like there's no tomorrow!
It's hard to not stick my nose in there several times a day to watch. Sooooo glad I installed viewing windows on my Warre hive.

I got my 3 packages of bees, 2 for my house and 1 for my dads berry patch. I am so glad he let me put a hive at his house, I think he will notice a difference in his 'farmers market' retirement berry patch. I was so nervous, even though I prepared and watched videos and read and . . . . Well, I was ready but still nervous. It went so smooth. Anyone else feel that installing a package is a breeze?

My kids and husband stood close by watching, fascinated and a little impressed I might add. I cannot wait to check on them, I watched them for a good hour today. A few feet from the hive in a lawn chair.

Thanks for the encouragement.

We just started our first hive this spring. So far, everything is going well.
Setting the hive

Checked it a week later, Queen is out and they're drawing comb
Hopefully they made it past the cold snap this weekend.

So far, no suits, and no stings.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom