Last Year I Started Beekeeping - So Exciting

Ok what kind of hive do you have again and do you have the entrance reducer in? Also in which direction is the opening facing. If possible can you stack straw bales around it and on top of it to help it stay warm?

On another note I have found a local source to buy 3 hives worth of bees in the spring.

Awesome, local hives are your best bet I hear.

Happy Chooks, how are your hives?

I made my own fondant 2 weeks ago and we fed the hives, so proud of me, I can't hardly stand myself!

I got my hives yesterday. 3 to start out, two here at my house and one at my dad's (has 1 1/2 acres of berries and farmers market garden). I am so excited, I cannot wait for my bees. I have a good friend who has 5-6 hives that will be able to help guide me.

I got the paint and will sand the boxes and paint soon. My bees are coming April 26 -- I feel like I did after I ordered my first chickens! Thanks for,listening!

Here's a randomly interjected question: Do you have any recommendations for a good book for a newbie bee-keeper? And if this has already been a topic of discussion, just point me in the right direction! Thanks!

Hi all:

I've been buying raw honey from a guy a couple of miles west of me (Chester County PA). I just got my first batch of chicks, so next year may be the bee year...nice to see there's a good thread here!

I bought a pot of hyacinth flowers at the garden show last week and planted them today. My honey bees found them before I even got them in the ground. It was a beautiful day for mid March with temperatures in the lows 60s. Hyacinths are not due to bloom in this area for another few weeks, so this was a real treat for the bees.

Quote:Originally Posted by sgtmom52

I bought a pot of hyacinth flowers at the garden show last week and planted them today. My honey bees found them before I even got them in the ground. It was a beautiful day for mid March with temperatures in the lows 60s. Hyacinths are not due to bloom in this area for another few weeks, so this was a real treat for the bees.

My bees were out flying full time this weekend due to the beautiful weather. They were bringing back some red pollen (Maples are blooming) and some light yellow pollen (not really sure where that is coming from). Plus lots of bees at their watering hole..... hopefully that means lots of brood being reared right now!

Last edited:
My bees were out flying full time this weekend due to the beautiful weather. They were bringing back some red pollen (Maples are blooming) and some light yellow pollen (not really sure where that is coming from). Plus lots of bees at their watering hole..... hopefully that means lots of brood being reared right now!

Maples have light yellow or green pollen. The red might be snow drops.

Here is a link to a pollen color chart that may be helpful. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollen_source

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom