Last Year I Started Beekeeping - So Exciting

Orpy Lady

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 11, 2009
I found that you are never too old in life to start a new hobby.

Last year I decided to keep bees and joined a bee club and before you knew it I was off getting this and that and now have two hives of bees! The enjoyment and satisfaction of eating your own honey and knowing where it comes from is very rewarding.
The bees are very gentle and I do not need to smoke them much when I take away the frames of honey for the extraction thereof.
At the moment as it is our winter over here, I am feeding them with fondant to help them keep happy and well fed in the hive for the spring flowers which hopefully will start in February.

Has anybody else got bees as I am learning all the while and need more information and each week I learn as much as I can to help my bees.
Sandy

D.gif

Last edited:
That is fantastic. I don't have bees but am planning to get some so am trying to learn everything I can. I will be watching your thread. I think there are a few other old bee threads on BYC somewhere.

I have wanted bee's for a while now but things have gotten in the way. I am hoping to get them this spring. I will be watching your thread also.

Welcome to beekeeping, it's a lot of fun.

I've been keeping bees for 20 years or so. I got my initial start with a commercial beekeeper and ran bees from Michigan to Florida and back again. I also belong to a local club to keep up on new developments.

This will be a rebuilding year for me.

I hope to get my first bees this year. The beekeepers meeting is tonight. Hoping I can make it! My wife works with someone whos father keeps bees. Trying to get him to "show me the ropes". I'm really looking forward to it.

My friend from back in PA told me over the summer that her and her husband were going to start their own bee keeping. She talked me into doing it as well. I spent last week (on school break) doing a lot of research. I had all my I's dotted and T's crossed. I took all of my information to my DH for the approval I guess you could say. And he bombed the idea; probably before I could even get the entire idea out of my mouth. We have 6 grand kids; and he thinks having bees and grandkids would not be a good idea. So hopefully I can get some more information and talk him into getting our own hive. I think it would be great.

Yes it is rewarding, came back tonight after our AGM, and now they have put me onto the catering side of things at the club, each month it is up to me and another to supply the biscuits, cakes etc. Gosh, I could have said no - but this way it gets me involved with the club more and gain the information that I need to keep my bees fit and well. We had the washing up to do after a big spread of food as it was more of a Social after the AGM - It paid off already as the Secretary of the club gave me some liquid to squirt over the frames of the 2 hives that I have to fight off varroa this time of year, for nothing!! I have already put the powder in earlier this year in September but apparently this is a necessary action for the winter months. I also got some fondant tonight.

Belonging to a Club is a great advantage, we have speakers, films, news when the next honey show is, plus of course we can discuss the progress of our bees.

I have the public come to my place on a regular basis to buy chickens and at no point has a bee attacked them. Bees do not want to sting you and we have the very placid New Zealand Bees that we can go up to the hives without wearing a suit. We do wear the suit if we are to disturb them though, just in case!!!

Sandy
D.gif

Thanks is cool your club is very active and seems the people all care. I looked on the internet to see if Arizona has active clubs; I seen a few on line but I havent been able to touch base with any other memebers yet.

Back
Top Bottom