Latch help and gap around door

Stephchiz

In the Brooder
Jul 30, 2022
Shenandoah Valley Virginia
Need some help with gaps around door and a good latch for a metal run. Our last run was wood framed built by my husband. New town, new job and he just didn’t have the time to build from scratch.
So we got this run. But there are gaps around the door — 1-2inches and the latch is pathetic. So we’re looking for some ideas to close the gaps and a secure latch

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B9BBXHZF?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Yes, my husband just smiled at me because that’s what he said. That will work except where the door opens. Thinking an apron there too that will just sorta overlap but not be attached on one side.
Second issue is a good latch.

So we got this run. But there are gaps around the door — 1-2inches and the latch is pathetic. So we’re looking for some ideas to close the gaps and a secure latch

For the latch: maybe a piece of chain and fasten the ends together with a padlock or carabiner or the kind of clip used on dog leashes. Or maybe a bicycle lock/gun lock/any of those cable-type things.

For the gaps: What are you trying to keep in or out? Do you really need to close them at all?

If you are trying to keep chickens in, it is probably tight enough to keep in all but very small/young chicks.

If you are trying to keep large predators out (like dogs), the gaps are no problem. No dog is going through that size gap.

If you are trying to keep something like a racoon from reaching in, it may not matter much. Don't let the chickens sleep right next to the gaps (so no roost right there), and trust them to run to the other end if they are awake. (Possible issue: I've read that some racoons will work together, with one scaring the chickens to where another can reach them. Putting a hiding spot in the middle of the run, so the chickens run there, would protect chickens from that.)

If you are trying to keep out rodents, or small predators like weasels or snakes, you will have to check for all other gaps, at all other levels, too. Unless you have closed all other gaps, it may be a waste of time to focus on the ones around the door.

Yes, my husband just smiled at me because that’s what he said. That will work except where the door opens. Thinking an apron there too that will just sorta overlap but not be attached on one side.
Second issue is a good latch.
What kind of latch does it have now? I think you can buy latches that fit onto pipe for fences.

For the latch: maybe a piece of chain and fasten the ends together with a padlock or carabiner or the kind of clip used on dog leashes. Or maybe a bicycle lock/gun lock/any of those cable-type things.

For the gaps: What are you trying to keep in or out? Do you really need to close them at all?

If you are trying to keep chickens in, it is probably tight enough to keep in all but very small/young chicks.

If you are trying to keep large predators out (like dogs), the gaps are no problem. No dog is going through that size gap.

If you are trying to keep something like a racoon from reaching in, it may not matter much. Don't let the chickens sleep right next to the gaps (so no roost right there), and trust them to run to the other end if they are awake. (Possible issue: I've read that some racoons will work together, with one scaring the chickens to where another can reach them. Putting a hiding spot in the middle of the run, so the chickens run there, would protect chickens from that.)

If you are trying to keep out rodents, or small predators like weasels or snakes, you will have to check for all other gaps, at all other levels, too. Unless you have closed all other gaps, it may be a waste of time to focus on the ones around the door.
Trying to keep predators out. Idk if there are weasels here but I’m sure there are snakes. There are no other gaps - we’ve checked.
Never thought of a bicycle type lock. Good idea.

Trying to keep predators out. Idk if there are weasels here but I’m sure there are snakes. There are no other gaps - we’ve checked.
we have hardware cloth approx 3ft on all sides and a buried apron. The area of concern is the gaps at door and latch.

Can snakes climb up the hardware cloth and go through the material above it? I don't know enough about snakes to have an answer there.

If you have secured all other points, I agree it makes sense to close up around the door too.
The idea of overlapping hardware cloth (suggested by someone else) looks like the best idea I've seen so far. But I can't visualize quite how to make it work. If there's enough space, or enough slack, to open and close the door, that might be enough to let a snake in too.

I would overlap a stiffer gauge of wire than hardware cloth, like 1x2 12 gauge wire-to give it enough stiffness to work for this. You could then cover the overlapped wire with hardware cloth. This overlapped wire would be attached to the door, just to be clear, so that when you close the door, the overlapped wire would cover the open gap. I wouldn't count on this keeping out snakes though if that's the main concern.

Back
Top Bottom