Late bloomer? Or is something wrong with my fluffy

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SarahJane chix, Apr 24, 2017.

1. SarahJane chix

SarahJane chix New Egg

Apr 24, 2017
    Hi all I'm new and this is my first time running into this with raising chicks. I have one chick who is just now getting Wings, it's mostly covered in downy the wings started developing a week ago and he/she is 4 weeks old like the rest of my babies... my barred rocks I'm not sure different breeder. Please help I want to make sure that nothing is wrong with my babe[​IMG]

2. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    If your little downy ball of fluff is active and eating, you are in luck. It would indeed be a slow developer rather than a failure-to-thrive victim. The reasons for this are unknown, but some chicks aren't developed fully at hatching, and it interferes with their ability to utilize the nutrients in their food as fully as they should.

You can help your chick by supplementing it's nutrition with Poultry Nutri-drench. It's a superior formula for chickens, both babies and sick adults, that need a boost.

You can dribble it over its food, and it won't hurt the other chicks to eat it. I've found that chicks like your little one have a better appetite when allowed to remain and eat with the other chicks. You can also feed the chick boiled egg and tofu, and the high grade protein should help.

3. SarahJane chix

SarahJane chix New Egg

Apr 24, 2017
    Yeah the fluffy chick has the best appetite at all and is getting to be quite Fiesty now that it has Wings to flap. And no one seems to pick with him/her thankfully.
    So a boiled eggs will be okay to feed them? I've always worried about them getting cannibalistic after, or so I've heard stories so I've never tried it cause I've never had a reason to

Also thanks azygous

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Eggs will not make them cannibalistic -- that inclination is already there regardless of diet - some folks do, though, further the misperception that it will lead to egg eating, which is also not the case. Eggs prepared (boiled, scrambled, etc) bear no resemblance whatsoever to whole, freshly laid eggs, so there is no association made between the two to lead to causing egg eating.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by