Late blooming chicks?

fuzziecreatures

Songster
8 Years
May 2, 2011
Southwestern PA, Flock since 5/2011
Is it possible to have all 48 chicks from a hatchery to be late bloomers? I ordered straight run chicks from a hatchery for delivery at the end of march. They are 15 weeks old today. There are 2, 1 New Hampshire and 1 Production Red that have some comb growth. I have 6 Salmon Faverolles, 2 obvious pullets and 4 cockerels (or poorly colored pullets). No one has saddle feathers or pointed hackles. When I dig through the feathers to look at the new growth, the feathers are rounded! No one has big thick legs, when startled they run. 1 Buckeye will come to the rescue when I pick up a sqwaking chicken.
The only chicks that have saddle feathers are the broody hatched roos that are the 3 that are 2 weeks older and 5 that are 1 week younger than the hatchery birds! I'm so confused!

I posted 2 weeks ago about my possible cockerel Salmon Faverolles.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/679186/13-week-old-birds#post_9183126

Has anyone ever heard of all the chicks being late bloomers? I could understand feather growth being slow if I got them outside late, but comb growth is lacking. I also got them outside at 4.5 weeks so feather growth should not be too slow. I obviously have got to get some pics to update tomorrow, but didn't know if anyone had heard of a straight run order being females instead. I ordered in anticipation of 70%/30% boy/girl ratio. Planned on making a meal of the boys I wasn't keeping.

More like the hatchery accidentally sent you sexed pullets. Most folks on this site would be envious!
yesss.gif

My pullets are younger than yours, and all are definitely pullets (except for the rooster that we gave away).

Back
Top Bottom