Why is this one pullet so ugly?

Country Birds

Chirping
Aug 7, 2022
Southern Idaho
I have some some splash and blue Ameraucanas that are almost 8 weeks old and they are all beautiful little chickens except this one…I think she is an “extra” Blue Ameraucana that the hatchery threw in. She was noticeably smaller as a chick and is still runty looking compared to the others. She also has these huge bald patches where her feathers haven’t grown in yet. She looks like an ugly little vulture, haha! None of the other chicks have this problem and I haven’t noticed anyone picking on her. Is she just a late bloomer?
IMG_3977.jpeg

IMG_3980.jpeg

IMG_3982.jpeg

Compared to one of my other blue pullets
IMG_3978.jpeg

And here’s a picture of what one of my normal looking Blue Ameraucana looks like (with wet cheeks from drinking)
IMG_3986.jpeg

Oh my goodness, she's so ugly she comes right around to being cute again!! I'm not sure what the issue is, I've seen chicks feather a bit slowly and have bare patches but nothing on this scale.

A little extra protein for her is all I know to suggest. If she seems happy and active, and no one bullies her, there's no probably no reason to worry. I don't see any visibly broken feathers or irritated skin.

Back
Top Bottom