Late duckling hatching and shell looks transparent and dark

Awwww, I feel horrible if that was the case.  I have another new batch in the bator now.  I'm going to go remove the tray immediately!  Thank you so much for the advice!

Don't feel horrible, we are all here to learn, it's the only way to make us better hatchers. You make a mistake, correct it and guess what we look at you for the advice.

It's not intensionally it's just a way to learn. Now when you do take them off the turner and honestly I really object to turners for ducks, unless you lay them down on a turner which is possible.

If you go to my website www.lwbarnhouse.com click on duck tab I have two methods listed, if you go to my method number two there's a pic of how I put my duck eggs on the turner.

Yes I lay them down and tape them to the turner. So from day one to the end they are in a laying down position just as if they were underneath a momma duck. You could try it..you may be surprise on how much of a better hatching rate you end up with...

OK, I just read on your website that call ducks hatch at day 25 or 26, which explains why several of mine have pipped 1 day after going into the hatcher at day 25. My flock is a mixed breed of random duck species. I believe there are 3-6 call ducks, several buffs, Indian runners and a few I don't know for sure, but there are 11 hens and only 1 drake. I believe the drake is a Silver Appleyard. He has all the hens to himself so when I collect egg(s) everyday I am never sure who laid them, so when should I move the eggs to the hatcher?? I can't leave them to set and hatch their own clutch because the snakes always get the eggs. :-(

OK, I just read on your website that call ducks hatch at day 25 or 26, which explains why several of mine have pipped 1 day after going into the hatcher at day 25.  My flock is a mixed breed of random duck species.  I believe there are 3-6 call ducks, several buffs, Indian runners and a few I don't know for sure, but there are 11 hens and only 1 drake.  I believe the drake is a Silver Appleyard.  He has all the hens to himself so when I collect egg(s) everyday I am never sure who laid them, so when should I move the eggs to the hatcher?? I can't leave them to set and hatch their own clutch because the snakes always get the eggs.  :-(
One drake with that many hens either he's a really busy guy or some of those girls are not getting to enjoy his love juices. Lol.

Is there a momma sitting on those eggs??

Well he definitely makes the rounds! lol! But some eggs are infertile (clear) and they don't get into the bator. Three mommas have sat to within 5-7 days of hatching but only to have their nest ravaged by snakes. We caught one red handed and took care of him but none have ever been able to set for a successful hatch. That's why I collect them now and artificially incubate. Just started this process 6 weeks ago however so I am still a 'new egg' to the hatching process. I have a beautiful flock though so I'm sure their babes will be gorgeous too!

I should add...they are free range ducks but we have 1 large pond with a center island for their protection from predators (other than water snakes) and 2 smaller ponds for them to play in... We're building a duck house and pen for the little guys until they're old enough to join the flock.

Sounds like they have a luxurious place. LOL... Free ranging is good they can get all the protein from Bugs that they need. WOO HOOO so when you say infertiled are you letting them sit for so many days or are they in the bator for soo many days?

For ducks you have to remember they need more time before discarding them. Unlike chickens you can see development within 4 to 5 days and for ducks, I like to give them at least 7 to 10 days.

Back
Top Bottom