Late hatchers

It's easy to make a mistake and set the wrong kind of eggs. I have a friend that has both silkies and Call ducks, and she one time sent a silkie egg to a customer with an order of Call duck eggs because they are the same size and look similar. A similar thing might have happened here, if you ordered these eggs or if they're from your own birds and you also have ducks or peafowl, or guineas, since guineas can also take 28 days to hatch.

I believe you and that's crazy. I probably wouldn't assist them. If they aren't strong enough to get out on their own they will probably have additional health issues. Do your best to give them ideal conditions and maybe they'll make it on their own. I think I have hot and cool spots in my incubator too. I need to shuffle the eggs a little more. I did it once and it didn't seem to be enough.

They are hens eggs. My own hens. They are brown and hen egg size. I have ducks too and they are in a different place. Have hatched their eggs too and I know the difference. However I suspect a temperature issue as I also had duck eggs hatch late too. Incy is Brinsea eco. I have tested the temperature accuracy and seems fine. But maybe cold spots as someone said.. One has died now. The one pipped at wrong end, I think I need to help. They will be so behind the others now and the incubator getting smelly!

It's easy to make a mistake and set the wrong kind of eggs. I have a friend that has both silkies and Call ducks, and she one time sent a silkie egg to a customer with an order of Call duck eggs because they are the same size and look similar. A similar thing might have happened here, if you ordered these eggs or if they're from your own birds and you also have ducks or peafowl, or guineas, since guineas can also take 28 days to hatch.

My own hen eggs. Not duck eggs I have had this with my own duck eggs alright where I have counted 28 days but they were 35 day muscovey eggs.

IDK if you are pro-assisted hatch or pro-wait and see, but if it were me, I would IMMEDIATELY MAKE THEM AIR HOLES AND CHECK ON THEM!!! They will likely need help; especially your malpositioned babies. Make sure they aren't shrink wrapped and help if needed. This is crazy; never heard of chicks surviving so long!

I’m especially amazed if using a Brinsea. Even my Eco is near perfect all around. I guess it’s possible that one side or one thread of the heater wire is weak and putting off less heat. :confused:

Good luck!

IDK if you are pro-assisted hatch or pro-wait and see, but if it were me, I would IMMEDIATELY MAKE THEM AIR HOLES AND CHECK ON THEM!!! They will likely need help; especially your malpositioned babies. Make sure they aren't shrink wrapped and help if needed. This is crazy; never heard of chicks surviving so long!

I have chipped a zip ring around for the one that pipped the wrong end and its still alive. Not peeping but moving. I am leaving it a bit to let vessels absorb. The others I think I will make a pip too. I think it is due to cold spots in incubator is the only thing I can think of. Its mad and worth people knowing. But having said that I may end up with dead or malformed chicks.. We will see. The one that died last night looked in a funny position but still hasn't absorbed his sack. He was still alive last night after being due the 13th October! Alien chickens!

Back
Top Bottom