Late night party hens.....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ozzchicken, Nov 30, 2011.

1. ozzchicken

ozzchicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2011
    Bethlehem,Pa
    2 of my hens won't go into the coop till after dark, like 11 or 12 at night. They stay out in the run and cackle like crazy:lol:. Anyone else have hens that do that?????

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Oh my goodness! I have four or five chickens whonpersist in roosting together on my porch railing at night, instead of inside the coop, but they go to sleep.

Now, my ducks, on the other hand, they party all night INSIDE the coop. Bothering the sleeping flock.

3. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    I had no idea my hens were so well behaved! I must give them more treats. Oh, wait. That's not possible.

4. nakstk

nakstk Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2011
    Kalama, Washington
    My girls will go in there coop at dusk. Sometimes in the middle of the night when take my dogs out for a potty break I hear the chickens jumping around in the coop and clucking like kids during a sleep over.

5. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    I have one girl who used to insist on fallin asleep on TOP of the coop, instead of inside with everyone else. She hates being handled though, so she soon figured out that roosting ON the coop got her man-handled nightly.

6. millefleur

millefleur Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2007
    Hamilton, Montana
    My Hamburgs have always nested up in trees if I do not get them in at night (into half of an old barn where they nest high in the rafters). Go figure.

7. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    My first flock of barred rocks always roosted in a tree - they did not have a run or coop. It is natural for chickens to roost in trees or the highest point they can reach. They frequently take turns keeping an eye out for predators, which are much easier to spot on the ground if you're way up in a tree.

8. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    Could it be the lighting around the run that makes them want to stay? I have a light inside the coop, and it's very dark in the run, so they all march in at sunset.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by