Late Rooster?

tuagmus

In the Brooder
Oct 20, 2016
Wausau, WI

Is this a rooster or hen? Hatched November 4th. Question is, when can we say that a hen is no longer a rooster? Can there be "late" bloomers? This one didnt look like this until the past week or so.

That much comb at only 3 months, I'm thinking cockerel.

I'm not sure about your question of a hen no longer being a rooster? They're either male or female when they're hatched, they don't change at any point.

That much comb at only 3 months, I'm thinking cockerel.

I'm not sure about your question of a hen no longer being a rooster? They're either male or female when they're hatched, they don't change at any point.
Well visually it's hard to tell when they're still young. The younger roosters than this one have already shown signs over a month ago with their comb and growth. He was the biggest of the group of 9 that hatched, but being placed out into a colder environment (32 to 56 degree) he stopped growing and looked like a hen. Just about a week or less now he's looking very much like a rooster. But I also have one that's a month older and its comb seems to be growing pretty big but she looks like a hen. I'll get pictures posted in the morning.

I guess the question is, when can we expect the comb to no longer grow to show signs of whether or not a rooster is a rooster. If I remember it said 6 to 8 weeks? or should we be expecting a longer period?

Back
Top Bottom