Late Silkie Eggs

Will do thanks! Yeah it's still ok for now but I definitely won't touch it until I can see dried up vessels. I really hope this ends with pics of live, happy chicks. I'll let you guys know what happened either way. It's a learning experience for all of us.

Well, I have good news and bad news. What's interesting is who survived! I ended up just taking out the upside down, almost bled to death chick this morning. The membrane was completely dry and he/she was ready to go, just couldn't get out. Surprisingly, this one survived. The one that was in the correct position but barley moving was dead this morning. So I took the chick out to investigate and found it never finished absorbing and the membrane was dry. I'm not sure what happened, but there you have it. I've included pics of the live and dead chick. I hope this helps someone with theirs in the future. Just remember, the one in the worst possible situation survived! So there is always hope with the looks of a doomed hatch.

Well, I have good news and bad news. What's interesting is who survived! I ended up just taking out the upside down, almost bled to death chick this morning. The membrane was completely dry and he/she was ready to go, just couldn't get out. Surprisingly, this one survived. The one that was in the correct position but barley moving was dead this morning. So I took the chick out to investigate and found it never finished absorbing and the membrane was dry. I'm not sure what happened, but there you have it. I've included pics of the live and dead chick. I hope this helps someone with theirs in the future. Just remember, the one in the worst possible situation survived! So there is always hope with the looks of a doomed hatch.

I'm really happy that one survived and very surprised by who it was! I think there was something more going on with these chicks. There had to be a reason that the other chick did not finish absorbing the yolk and died before hatching. I would make sure you keep the chick that hatched warm and I would definitely give him save-a-chick in his water. After this hatch it would be a good time to thoroughly disinfect the incubator and recalibrate everything. I see you have the mini...I do too. I love that incubator. But calibrate a thermometer and check out your temps on whichever incubator you used for this hatch. I breed silkies too. I hope he does good!

She seems to be doing well and I'll def look into that save-a-chick. I usually feel boiled egg yolk and put vitamins in their water but again I've never had such a weak hatch. Thanks for the info! I originally had them in my Rcom mini and although I've vacuumed it out and cleaned it to death, it's still making a funny noise. Although there just could have been something wrong genetically, it still scares me to use that incubator again. Yes, it's a little girl :). Thank you for everyone's advice. I have two more due in 3 days, but they've been in the Brinsea mini all along.

Back
Top Bottom