Lathargic silkie chick ??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by silkiechick1994, Dec 28, 2013.

1. silkiechick1994

silkiechick1994 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2013
    Paris TN
    I have a 2 week old little silkie chick that seems to be feeling a little sick. She has splay leg also an I'm not sure how she has it while the other 10 I have don't. They are on cedar shavings. I always give my chicks vitamin water to make sure they have enough but could this little one be missing something? Today is the first day she seems to be showing symptoms. she drank a little bit but not much else. She seemed fine yesterday! I know there is some baby vitamins I could give her but will that interact with the vitamin water I'm already giving???

2. silkiechick1994

Jun 25, 2013
    Paris TN
    Well nevermind. She died a few hours later. Lost two to this. Others seem to be dong well. Lets hope nothing happens to them.

3. Brookshire11

Brookshire11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2013
    McKinney, TX
    NOT anywhere near an expert, but I read Cedar shavings can be toxic?
    I'm sorry she passed :(

4. shannondee12

shannondee12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    Left Hand, WV
    I also read that cedar shavings are toxic but with splay leg i'm leaning towards a vitamin deficiency. I couldn't find the baby vitamins without iron when I had one that hatched with wry neck/crooked feet so I got liquid vitamin B and it did the trick within a few days. It's handy to have around

5. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

I am not sure but why don't you have them instead of shavings .....
    vitamin water is good ...
    what are you feeding them ???
    How long on wood shaving's ?????

6. silkiechick1994

Jun 25, 2013
    Paris TN
    Well everyone else seems to be Doug good and running around happy. I've never had an issue with cedar shavings before so I doubt it was that. They were dried out and had no smell to them anymore. I just think that there was something wrong with that one. I got some polyvisol and give a few drops on the water for the others. I give them medicated chick starter until they are a few months old. Just was wondering if anyone else had had chicks with those symptoms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by