Lavender Ameracauna rooster Breeding to SOP

winterwolf4

Songster
Feb 17, 2023
Oregon
I have two Lavender Ameracauna roosters. I am trying to pick which one is better. Rooster #1 has a smaller comb. While rooster #2 has a bigger comb. I am new to breeding Ameracaunas so please help me figure this out.

I do not have good full body pictures of them, but I will work on getting them tomorrow.

Attachments

• 20230725_115533.jpg
    20230725_115533.jpg
    801.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 20230725_115826.jpg
    20230725_115826.jpg
    574.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230725_115045.jpg
    20230725_115045.jpg
    368.5 KB · Views: 14
Two possibilities exist for the comb size comparison.
One is that the more dominant cockerel is more developed. The subordinate cockerels actually have their testosterone levels suppressed. So any trait linked to sex hormones can be difficult to judge with multiple males.
The second possibility is heterozygous vs homozygous pea comb. Ameraucanas should have 2 copies of the pea comb gene. I'm not the best at judging combs, but I'm sure others will weigh in.

With Lavender, the smoothest, least shredded feathering is high priority. Even if they both look "fine", you want to keep selecting for that every single generation. A lot of work has gone into removing shredding from Lavender Ameraucanas, in my opinion they are the most advanced of all the breeds with a Lavender color. So I think everyone should keep it in mind. Whether it's officially more or less important than a proper comb, I'm not sure, but I would personally select for the best feathering as my #1 priority.

Two possibilities exist for the comb size comparison.
One is that the more dominant cockerel is more developed. The subordinate cockerels actually have their testosterone levels suppressed. So any trait linked to sex hormones can be difficult to judge with multiple males.
The second possibility is heterozygous vs homozygous pea comb. Ameraucanas should have 2 copies of the pea comb gene. I'm not the best at judging combs, but I'm sure others will weigh in.

With Lavender, the smoothest, least shredded feathering is high priority. Even if they both look "fine", you want to keep selecting for that every single generation. A lot of work has gone into removing shredding from Lavender Ameraucanas, in my opinion they are the most advanced of all the breeds with a Lavender color. So I think everyone should keep it in mind. Whether it's officially more or less important than a proper comb, I'm not sure, but I would personally select for the best feathering as my #1 priority.

Thank you for all of the help. I got these from Cackle Hatchery and I still don't know exactly what I am looking for. What is feather shredding?

Before this we just had Easter Eggers along with Maran × Bielefelder crosses.

Here is rooster #2. The dominant rooster.

So far I don't see any shredding on him.
It's important to keep watch as they grow because it can show up in their juvenile molts. Once they're fully mature (5-6 months) you know for sure.

The feather shredding gene is a pesky hanger-on that often comes along with lavender. It makes the feathers look broken and messy, especially around the saddle area and tail, but not limited to it. In really bad cases, almost all the feathers are affected.

Keep in mind, other things can affect feather quality. Brushing up against a surface in their choice of roost or in cramped confines (such as when moving to a new home) can mess up the tail, so it's important to study the saddle area. A hen being bred can damage the saddle, so it's helpful to compare the tail. A diet too low in protein can result in poor feathering all over. Juveniles go through about 5 molts to change their feather size, so every month of growth can tell you something new.

In general, I think #2 is a better looking roo than the subordinate one (first picture, right?). The first one seems he may have some color leakage, but photos in the same lighting would help to be sure (sorry).

Feather shedding:

1659626724842.png

Last edited:
Ameraucanas are not my forte, honestly, but based on my ABA standard for the bantam version, I like the type on the one with the smaller comb a little more. The one with the larger comb holds his tail just a bit low to my eye, and his wing looks slipped in the side-profile shot. He also sort of slopes directly from his throat to his stomach, where the smaller-comb one has a more full-looking chest. However, that all said, they look pretty young still. How old are they in these pictures? I found when deciding on my cockerels for my Cochin pens that it was best to wait until around 8 months of age at minimum before picking between them, and the longer you can wait to let them fill out more, the better. If these are your only two, I'd hold onto them for as long as you can before deciding.

Ameraucanas are not my forte, honestly, but based on my ABA standard for the bantam version, I like the type on the one with the smaller comb a little more. The one with the larger comb holds his tail just a bit low to my eye, and his wing looks slipped in the side-profile shot. He also sort of slopes directly from his throat to his stomach, where the smaller-comb one has a more full-looking chest. However, that all said, they look pretty young still. How old are they in these pictures? I found when deciding on my cockerels for my Cochin pens that it was best to wait until around 8 months of age at minimum before picking between them, and the longer you can wait to let them fill out more, the better. If these are your only two, I'd hold onto them for as long as you can before deciding.

They are 6 months old come August 8th. They hatched March 8th. I don't plan on getting rid of them yet I just needed help figuring out what I need to be looking for.

I have 2 more cockerals that I growing out that about 3 months old. I am hoping to pick 2 out or the four for breeding.

Back
Top Bottom