Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

Pics
Oh wow those are just so adorable!!!!
love.gif

You want to have as little or no fretting if possible. This is why you should always have blacks in your breeding program, for continual improvement. My best hens (several generations in) have what I call "buttery" feeling feathers. Very smooth. No frayed ends even after several months. We've got a mess of chicks hatching now, so I am hoping we get a couple good roosters as well for the next generation.

Its always difficult when you have more than one rooster in the flock to keep them looking nice, but that is normal wear, not a feather quality issue like leakage or fretting.

What pretty chickens!

Does it matter if the black is a male or female? It would be so much easier for us to keep a black hen with ours instead of adding another rooster.

Right now I have lav roosters over lav and black hens. Then I will start another group with a split/black rooster over lav hens, using one of their offspring.
If you can split your pen in half, you can do both at the same time.

I'm going to update this thread, as I've recently seen a neighbor with a GORGEOUS Lav hen...he was fretting over finding a Lav cockerel to start breeding.

Well, I fell in love and he fell out of interest, is just going to be happy with his blue eggs from her and let her live out her happy little life there.

My son, 12, has now taken a serious interest in the Ameraucana breed...and has been asking repeatedly if we can breed our EE with the self-blue game birds we have to get the blue or lavender Ameraucanas...so we had to have a crash-course in understanding genetics.
wink.png

I am hoping to make a connection with a breeder that is getting rid of a small breeding show flock, as the person just doesn't have the time to have so many breeds on her hands. As these birds are rare to find, and the issues with getting them recognized notwithstanding...I'd like to be a part of the solution. I'm learning as much as I can about genetics and breeding on a crash course...I was a Biology major for about 2 1/2 years in college and took a couple of classes on understanding genetics, so I've got a basic understanding.

My sons and I are hoping to do what we can to get this breed recognized, and be able to offer these chicks from an already well-established line to other enthusiasts who share our interest in getting this breed "out there" and accepted.

Here are my 2 5 week olds, the Lav is a cockerel and I HOPE the split is a pullet. My Wheaten cockerel snuck in the picture :) I have 8 more in the bator as we speak, hoping for a good hatch!

Back
Top Bottom