Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

Pics
We were lucky enough to get our start from from her. We got 5 last fall and 3 of her last ones, last month. They are beautiful and we are so excited to have them for our breeders.
Please post some pictures from a variety of angles.

This is the lav hen and the lag roo from crystalcreek... they are just gorgeous in the sunlight (and currently living in our isolation area...)

Try to aim for a smoother transition through the saddle in the hen. These are a couple of young pullets.

Try to aim for a smoother transition through the saddle in the hen. These are a couple of young pullets.
I am going to try and do better pictures tomorrow. When she isn't moving she has a much smoother saddle (it doesn't help that she has lost a few feathers which you can kind of see in the second picture). Ameraucanas are hard to take photos of. Give me a Wyandotte, or a Silkie, or an Orp and I am good.

Last edited:
Hello all -

After finding out the "Ameraucana" chicks I'd purchased this spring were actually EE's, I've started looking into private breeders. We don't have any private breeders anywhere in my state (Kentucky) and I'm doing all I can to help change that myself. I've devoted a whole new coop and pasture space to breeding Ameraucanas, and I've particularly been interested in this crux facing Lavenders - they're such beautiful birds. I'm wanting to be of help to all of you here that are working hard at trying to isolate genes, etc to get the coloration of the breed recognized by the ABC.

I've put in my application with the Club, as was suggested by a lady I spoke with last week. She and I were planning on meeting sometime, and she had a flock of 4 Lavs that she had told me she'd sell me - I emailed her as requested and have not received a reply. I don't know if she's already sold her breeding/show flock or not - I'm kinda in the dark...

So I'm now asking all of you if you can direct me to good breeding stock - either amongst yourselves, or another private breeder in the States. My sons and I are getting into breeding our self-blue OEGB, and my personal preference is the large fowl variety of Lav Ameraucanas...due to the fact that they're not recognized, even though I've seen here many success cases.

If anyone here knows where I can find quality chicks/started roos and pullets so I can get my own breeding flock going to be able to be of assistance in the matter, please share...like I said, there are zero breeders in Kentucky for ANY Ameraucana variations, and you all know as well as I do that "mail order" Ameraucanas tend to wind up being EEs - which doesn't help in the breeding arena at all. Don't get me wrong, I love the EEs I have - they'll provide us with beautiful eggs to sell and eat, and they're pretty friendly birds. But if I'm going to get a good breeding flock started, and have any luck at all in helping with the Lavs, I really need some assistance in finding TRUE Ameraucana stock. I've called just about every breeder on the ABC directory and left messages, or I've emailed, and I'm not getting any responses at all.

I'm starting to feel ignored - like this is some sort of exclusive thing - that doesn't want newcomers.

Hello all -

After finding out the "Ameraucana" chicks I'd purchased this spring were actually EE's, I've started looking into private breeders. We don't have any private breeders anywhere in my state (Kentucky) and I'm doing all I can to help change that myself. I've devoted a whole new coop and pasture space to breeding Ameraucanas, and I've particularly been interested in this crux facing Lavenders - they're such beautiful birds. I'm wanting to be of help to all of you here that are working hard at trying to isolate genes, etc to get the coloration of the breed recognized by the ABC.

I've put in my application with the Club, as was suggested by a lady I spoke with last week. She and I were planning on meeting sometime, and she had a flock of 4 Lavs that she had told me she'd sell me - I emailed her as requested and have not received a reply. I don't know if she's already sold her breeding/show flock or not - I'm kinda in the dark...

So I'm now asking all of you if you can direct me to good breeding stock - either amongst yourselves, or another private breeder in the States. My sons and I are getting into breeding our self-blue OEGB, and my personal preference is the large fowl variety of Lav Ameraucanas...due to the fact that they're not recognized, even though I've seen here many success cases.

If anyone here knows where I can find quality chicks/started roos and pullets so I can get my own breeding flock going to be able to be of assistance in the matter, please share...like I said, there are zero breeders in Kentucky for ANY Ameraucana variations, and you all know as well as I do that "mail order" Ameraucanas tend to wind up being EEs - which doesn't help in the breeding arena at all. Don't get me wrong, I love the EEs I have - they'll provide us with beautiful eggs to sell and eat, and they're pretty friendly birds. But if I'm going to get a good breeding flock started, and have any luck at all in helping with the Lavs, I really need some assistance in finding TRUE Ameraucana stock. I've called just about every breeder on the ABC directory and left messages, or I've emailed, and I'm not getting any responses at all.

I'm starting to feel ignored - like this is some sort of exclusive thing - that doesn't want newcomers.

As you have found out, there is a waiting list for the real Ameraucanas. I suggest you contact John Blehm (Chick Hatchery) and order the chicks for next year. Also contact Paul Smith and get on his waiting list too. If you are really serious you will need to devote time and energy to these birds starting by waiting patiently for them to arrive, however long that takes.

You just missed out on buying some of the most beautiful Lavender birds. I was very tempted - but the shipping cost threw me. hardinpoultry bought them. If you can find any chicks from Crystal Creek's birds that would be another good start.

You can get Lavender and Lavender/Split eggs here on BYC. I believe there is an auction going right now on the New Crazy 24HR auction thread for blue/black/splash.. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/754060/the-new-crazy-24hr-auction-thread/1460#post_11113851 Bookmark that one and watch for the Lavenders. Also check out the Buy, Sell, Swap section on BYC.

P.S. - there is no such thing as "quality chicks" You will get chicks - they will turn out how they turn out - and you have to choose and breed the best ones. That's why this color is called "A Work In Progress".

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom