Lavender-Based Leghorn Breeding & Improvement Discussion

These genetics are very rare/very common

• Total voters
:highfive::highfive::highfive:
Love the ideas and pictures youse guys. Fabulous.

Haiku---
so interesting and valuable for everyone to keep an eye on. I also wonder -- if the 'soft feathering' from the Legbars, can make the feathers look a bit messy compared with any 'hard feathered bird' -- Are Leghorns hard feathered? -- and thus the Legbar lines look a bit untidy or messy at times, but -- it is not actual damage or raggedy feathers. JMO:confused: This is the one of the big value-added to this thread too IMO because it gives us things to look for and compare.

Moonshiner---

AWESOME!!!:love:love:love

What a nice pair. This is the first pict I've seen of your female as a adult. I'm SO SO SO SO impressed with the color on her breast feathers -- because it is a quite rosy hue. :yesss: My gang is still throwing feathers everywhere -- I was noticing this morning that they are showing pale pink -- but paler than yours. Mine are ending their molt though -- and my roo has sickles now again....so there is that.
Oh for sure for sure I'm very happy with the color of the female and like I said the pictures don't do justice of the barring the barring is very nice getting a lot of compliments from the neighbors...Now I have to sleep with one eye open...

Screenshot_20201210-120954(1)(1).png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201210-120954(1).png
    Screenshot_20201210-120954(1).png
    558.7 KB · Views: 2
I also wonder -- if the 'soft feathering' from the Legbars, can make the feathers look a bit messy compared with any 'hard feathered bird' -- Are Leghorns hard feathered? -- and thus the Legbar lines look a bit untidy or messy at times, but -- it is not actual damage or raggedy feathers.

Are Leghorns and Legbars not supposed to have the same feathering? I always thought they did.

Are Leghorns and Legbars not supposed to have the same feathering? I always thought they did.
For some years I have puzzled over this. Seems like I never found a lot of info on it. I do know with a high percentage of certainty that Legbars are soft feathered. They are quite fluffy. My flock is pretty fluffy....so I think soft feathered.

seems like I once had an Ideal 236 - a Leghorn hybrid and I think she had very crisp feathers. Anyone know more about the feathering and the dominant?

ETA -- okay so a little Googling says hard feathered breeds are game breeds including OEGB. However when I had an OEGB, her feathering didn't seem THAT different from the Ideal 236...so now I'm really conflused...and maybe the lavender gene feather problem has zero to do with that set of genes.
:idunno
ETA again...Okay -- I'm loosing it and I'm off to get my head examined for loose wiring. This site says Leghorns are soft feathered.
:oops:
http://ruleworks.zapto.org/poultry/soft-feather-breeds.html

Last edited:
Yes, after receiving the notification about your reply this morning @ChicKat I went out and watched my leghorns and the legbars and collected some feathers from both pens. The feathers are more or less the same in structure. You can note primarily differences in the Isabella leghorn males against their brown counterparts—the feathers are more narrow and don't zip tight up like the browns. I could not readily ID any differences in feather quality between the "opal" legbar male and the brown leghorn males.

On the other hand, while fray is much less noticeable in the Isabella leghorn hens and doesn't express itself so much in feather width, when you look closely at the feathers on the saddle you can see the filaments are separated at a much higher rate than the brown hens next to them.

Interestingly, I did notice a feather quality fault in one of my brown hens—flitter. It's where there's an ever so narrow halo of fluff lacing each feather. Visually, it appears mostly like a colored lacing, but it's in fact where the tips of the feathers separate.

I guess that's one less brown girl for the breeding pen this year. :(

And in Europe -- there is some talk that flitter is a highly desirable mutation. :old

Yes, I've seen that and I guess you can look at all sorts of things as desirable if you want to for whatever reason, but it is definitely a feather quality fault in my brown leghorns in the US.

I also just simply don't find it attractive.

I totally forgot that I was going to try to get flitter photos! I did try the day I posted this and had an escape attempt which was nerve-wracking because even though the birds are used to free-ranging, my brother's dog was here that day and she has a chicken killing track record. Anyway, I guess that cut things short that day and I never returned to it.

I mostly checked in to report a decent head start on the hatching season with a bunch of lavender split legbars. I just wanted to confirm... as I mentioned I let the birds free range from time to time and I do see a Leghorn cock trying to get at one of the legbar girls occasionally, it should be obvious if they were successful, though, because the resulting offspring from that cross would not be barred, correct?

Just want to be sure!

Back
Top Bottom