Lavender Crele

Here we are with only 1 more night expected to be sub-freezing. Most of the snow and Ice here should melt today. A once every 10-years cold event. Probably my roosters have frostbite on their combs.
P1100011.JPG

A friend who knows chickens well was remarking 'that is one beautiful bird'. Yep.
P1100002.JPG

why do the males get all the attention, when the females do all the work. Nice female tail exiting that picture above.
P1100003.JPG

Removed the ramp to clear the chicken house....so this bird decided to pose for the camera.
P1100001.JPG

Above shows the way the barring presents on my Lavender Crele birds.

The started laying in January. I was surprised by that---and there are eggs in the incubator. Should you be reading this and near South East Texas...PM me if you'd like to get some hatching eggs.

P1090964.JPG

Just as he was coming out of molt, and I was making fun of him --- no big sickle feathers.
P1090988.JPG

Father and son aligned in two different pens...the apple didn't fall too far from the tree. The blue tarp between their pens is to prevent fence-fighting -- once their spring hormones fired up -- it was like a mirror image of them pacing the fence across from each other.
P1090994.JPG

Headshot of junior. The tiny black dots on his comb? I don't think fowl pox. Treated him with cydectin and vet Rx rubbed on the comb.

The Polar Vortex ha d brutalized both cockerels. It's heart breaking they look like they were badly burned. Glad that I got comb comparison pictures before the cold.
P1100028.JPG

P1100040.JPG

Thinking that he was in some pretty serious pain too.
The next shot shows the process of part of the frozen/frost bitten part falling off
P1100066.JPG

and now he looks partially dubbed
P1100090.JPG

Looks and acts like he is in far less pain. I suspect those other three points that are black will fall off -- Looks like his wattles lost the bottom also.
Here's the older one
P1100036.JPG

Hi Kiki,
It 's all good here - smooth and level. How's about you? hope you are enjoying the nice weather TX is having.
I'm good...waiting still to be able to open the windows at night to sleep.

How are the frostbit victims?

Glad to hear you're doing OK. The one roo does look completely different now. He is a gem. The other one, went psychotic. I think he was literally driven crazy by a fox that was just on the other side of welded wires, and little cockerel didn't know how to protect the pullets he was with. Of course the fox couldn't breach the welded wire but cockerel never went to construction school. He was crazy. Drew blood(mine). Ended up deceased. :hit

You inspire me to post a pict. My "Handsome Dude" is finishing up a molt and looks pretty good for an old guy. He is so mellow and sweet -- the kind you want to keep around.

Here are some recent shots. Picture worth 1000 words...so no words needed. right? :lau
P1100456.JPG

He looked pretty bad in his last photo, didn't he? Now he has an odd comb, but doesn't look burnt on the ends. The result of that frostbite in my last postings. I love this guy's "type".
P1100457.JPG

P1100464.JPG

P1100461.JPG

Mostly his molt is finished....his sickle feathers drag on the ground sometimes and they are new since the molt -- I think he has a few more tail feathers due to come in.
:love

Back
Top Bottom