Lavender Orpington gender?

Sessielou

Hatching
May 1, 2018
D2235DDF-F0C2-4CAD-B3CE-2C9BF98DC08E.jpeg
341F29FC-5C9A-438D-BF40-D3C6FDF5C086.jpeg

Age?

I'll tell you right now these are some difficult ones to judge. So please don't count him or her out until it crows or lays.

Just as an example I got 2 lavender orpington from a breeder friend. One as an egg the other as a cockerel 10 weeks old. The younger hatched about The same time i got the older. The older 1 posted her multiple times starting at about 11-12 weeks he just didn't seem very male to me. Three younger made the older even more difficult to judge becuase the younger developed quickly and was very obviously a male by about 7-8 weeks. At about 10 and 20 wks i posted pics of both again, the younger cockerel the older pullet but the breeder insisted they develop slowly and not to give up hope. Will at that piont hope didn't matter as i only wanted 1 rooster and the younger would fit the bill, but the older was gentle and sweet I liked him better. So finally about 22 weeks old he starting getting saddle feathers and by 24 weeks his tail was growing out and he started to crow. He is almost a year now and it had taken him very bit of this year to fully develop his look. Even at 30 wks he was still very feminine though obviously male. Now he is one big rooster and still very freindly.

So seriouly be very careful counting them one way or the other until you are 100% sure. And if you aren't 100% sure wait till it crows or laying.

Back
Top Bottom