Lavender Orpington or Barred Rocks?

BackyardBuffys

Chirping
Aug 11, 2020
Harford County, Maryland
Hi there!

We have 4 Buff Orpington hens that are coming up one year old, and we are interested in adding to our flock. Our local feed store just released their chick schedule and they will be having Lavender Orpingtons and Barred Plymouth Rocks. I was planning on getting the BRs, but now I'm interested in the Lavenders. I read a few other forums on here, but was wondering if anyone could help provide some insight to my questions below to help us make a decision.
  • I was reading that sometimes birds are sold as lavenders, but might actually be something else. Anything to look for in particular?
  • Will one incorporate into our existing flock better than the other?
  • We only have them for eggs. Are they both good producers? And for how long?
Thank you!

Out of my barred rocks and buff orpingtons, the barred rocks are better layers. They lay more consistently and more often for me! I don't have experience with the lavender orpingtons though

You could get both! I absolutely loved my Barred Rock that I had, she was one of my favorite birds, but I loved my Lavender Orpington too. But my Lav was a rooster so no comment on their egg laying ability but he was great too! Sweet, friendly, etc. and my BR was a fantastic layer and very intelligent and personable.

It depends on what your priorities are! The barred rocks will most likely be cheaper, as they're a popular, common breed. The orps, in my opinion, are absolutely stunning but they'll probably cost more, as they are a newer, rarer breed. I have no idea what your hatchery will sell them at, but a search on the random hatchery tab I have open-Meyer hatchery-tells me they sell them at a full $24 bucks per chick, whereas their BRs aren't even $4. I might suggest barred rocks, simply because they'll lay slightly more and be cheaper. On the other hand though, sometimes BRs can be bullies, especially to docile, calm breeds like your buff orps. Let us know what you decide!

It depends on what your priorities are! The barred rocks will most likely be cheaper, as they're a popular, common breed. The orps, in my opinion, are absolutely stunning but they'll probably cost more, as they are a newer, rarer breed. I have no idea what your hatchery will sell them at, but a search on the random hatchery tab I have open-Meyer hatchery-tells me they sell them at a full $24 bucks per chick, whereas their BRs aren't even $4. I might suggest barred rocks, simply because they'll lay slightly more and be cheaper. On the other hand though, sometimes BRs can be bullies, especially to docile, calm breeds like your buff orps. Let us know what you decide!
I don’t think they would be bullies to established chickens. Usually it happens if they’re the same age or older than the others but since the BRs will be the “newbies” and not vice versa, I don’t think it will be an issue.

I've had both Lavenders and Barred Rocks. I had two Lavenders; one developed Bumble foot at about two years - we saved her and put her back into the flock just to catch her egg eating... sometimes you can't save them no matter. Her "sister" never gave us any trouble, was a good layer - both were really. Beautiful birds, docile.

I had Barred Rocks as a kid so when I bought my first batch of chickens as an adult and they were available I made sure there were four in our first group. That was in 2015. They've been great layers - I caught one egg eating (I had a bad problem with that at the same time I caught the Lavender Orpington and lost a lot of girls before I got it stopped). The other three have been great birds. Super layers and really no problem that I have seen as far as getting along. We did have one girl we named Lucretia (after the Borgia), she was tough but it was more about not taking any guff off anyone else than being a bully. She was a favorite. She passed last summer in the heat.

The final of our original Barred Rocks, Miss Priss, seems to be going strong at five years old. Our girls our pets so we don't cull them when they get past a certain age, figuring they've earned the right to live out their days in peace. Imagine my surprise one day recently to go out in the coop and see Miss Priss had just laid an egg and was making her fuss about it.

I have to agree with others, get one of each and figure out which you like better. For myself, I doubt I'll be getting more Lavenders but I just brought home three more BR chicks - they just turned five months and are already starting to lay. They may not be as pretty to some as the Orpingtons but as a breed I've personally had fewer problems with BRs than any of the Orpingtons of various colors I've had. Just my experience.

Back
Top Bottom