Lavender Orpington project ....

Hes got a good size body, do you have any pictures of him in the sun? It almost looks like he has leakage in his saddle and hackles
Our current Self Blue breeding pen is this male with a 50% Cecil Moore Black Orp hen. We are seeing a high % of Self Blue/lavender offspring. This photo was taken in March 2012. Their offspring is indistinguishable from pure Black Orps. Glad we toe punch.

b30ce3602D25b02D48882Da2982D7c150cebbcd5SBOrp1.jpg

Someone please remind me,
old.gif
when working on a new variety: How many people minimum, 5? How many shows and what kind of shows with how many birds? Minimum number of pullets, cockrels, cocks, and hens??? How many years before you can start applying, 5? When do your years start?
idunno.gif
When the birds hit your property or when you start breeding? Purchased eggs this year, hatched, showing some birds now, and will do my first mating in Dec. or Jan.
Also, looking for hatch boxes or nets for the incubator???
hu.gif
Not sure what they look like or how to look them up. Would like to hatch two matings or three at a time in the same bator but need to be accurate on my toe punching! Suggestions (or the real names of those items
yesss.gif
) would be great.
Thanks in advance!!!
Cowchick11

These are what we prefer to use as hatching baskets.

As far as toe punching, check this out.

http://www.strombergschickens.com/prod_detail_list/toe-punch

TOE-MD.jpg

http://www.dominiquechicken.com/Toe_Punch_Chart.html

imag002.jpg

And at http://www.polishbreedersclub.com/toepunching.htm

A toe punch, available from many poultry supply catalogs, is about the size of fingernail clippers. It functions like a paper-hole punch and is used to remove the web between the toes of a newly hatched chick. As the chick grows, you can identify it parentage by the pattern of its punched-out webs.

When chicks are dry and ready to come out of the incubator, hold each gently but securely in one hand with one of its feet extended. Carefully position the punch over the web. With one firm stroke, punch away the web. Don't just punch a hole through the web, or the web may eventually grow back.

The pattern of removed webs lets you identify chicks from up to sixteen different matings. Here's how it works: on each foot, a chick has three main toes and therefore two webs--the outer web (between the middle and outside toe) and the inner web (between the middle and inside toe).

Starting at the chick's left side, the first web (left outer) stands for 1: the next web (left inner) stands for 2: the next web (right inner) stands for 4; the far right-hand web (right outer) stands for 8. Assign each mating a number from 1 to 15 and identify chicks from each mating by adding up the numbers corresponding to the punched webs. (For a sixteenth mating, leave the chicks unpunched.)

Chicks in batch number 1 have the left outer web punched. Chicks in batch number 2 have the left inner web punched. Chichs in batch number 3 have bothe the left outer and left inner web punched. Chicks in batch number 3 have both the left outer and left inner webs punched (1+2=3) Chicks in batch number 5 have the left outer and right inner webs punched (1+4=5). And so forth.

Toe-punching works only if you know when you open the incubator which chicks came from which mating. You can identify chicks by:
* dyeing embryos
* hatching different matings at different times
* keeping eggs from different matings on different hatching trays
* enclosing small groups of eggs in upside-down baskets (pedigree baskets) such as plastic pint-size fruit baskets.
LEFT FOOT
\o! /
\ !o/
\o!o/
\ ! /
\o! /
\ !o/
\o!o/
\ ! /
\o! /
\ !o/
\o!o/
\ ! /
\o! /
\ !o/
\o!o/
\ ! /

RIGHT FOOT
\ ! /
\ ! /
\ ! /
\o! /
\o! /
\o! /
\o! /
\ !o/
\ !o/
\ !o/
\ !o/
\o!o/
\o!o/
\o!o/
\o!o/
\ ! /

Last edited:
Someone please remind me,
old.gif
when working on a new variety: How many people minimum, 5? How many shows and what kind of shows with how many birds? Minimum number of pullets, cockrels, cocks, and hens??? How many years before you can start applying, 5? When do your years start?
idunno.gif
When the birds hit your property or when you start breeding? Purchased eggs this year, hatched, showing some birds now, and will do my first mating in Dec. or Jan.
Also, looking for hatch boxes or nets for the incubator???
hu.gif
Not sure what they look like or how to look them up. Would like to hatch two matings or three at a time in the same bator but need to be accurate on my toe punching! Suggestions (or the real names of those items
yesss.gif
) would be great.
Thanks in advance!!!
Cowchick11

The current APA yearbook has all the details on admitting a new variety.

Well an update on my babies new pen-- on the first night after two of the neighborhoods familyless kitties tried to climb in I used a bb gun and hit their behinds halfway up the wire. The feral cats left unhappy and I got a tarp up over the top. The next day my SO (signifuicant other) decided to put a wire roof on and a small trap door of about 2x2. At least I can get to them now. Just wondering if there is suggestions about when, what kind and where to put nesting boxes. Probably need to be close to my little door.

I'm finding little feathers in the pen with the chicks. Are they losing them normally or is someone being mean and pecking one of the others?

And this morning a friend brought me 5 more chicks about the same age give or take a couple of weeks. Two are Barred Rocks and three kinda look like Black Australorpes. So far the rocks seem to want to take a nip out of everyone else. But most of the feathers belong to the 8 week old Lav. Orps.
The orps being the biggest and the black ones the smallest sizewise.
And the smallest ones feathers seem to be still more like hatchlings than2 month olds. Should I worry?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom