Lavender Orpington project ....

HallFamilyFarm
Can you measure one of your hatching baskets? I am trying to get the dimensions (to ensure that they will fit in my bator) and some websites list them but others do not.
Thanks!

These are what we prefer to use as hatching baskets.

1f70-large.jpg
As far as toe punching, check this out.

http://www.strombergschickens.com/prod_detail_list/toe-punch

TOE-MD.jpg

http://www.dominiquechicken.com/Toe_Punch_Chart.html

imag002.jpg

And at http://www.polishbreedersclub.com/toepunching.htm

A toe punch, available from many poultry supply catalogs, is about the size of fingernail clippers. It functions like a paper-hole punch and is used to remove the web between the toes of a newly hatched chick. As the chick grows, you can identify it parentage by the pattern of its punched-out webs.

When chicks are dry and ready to come out of the incubator, hold each gently but securely in one hand with one of its feet extended. Carefully position the punch over the web. With one firm stroke, punch away the web. Don't just punch a hole through the web, or the web may eventually grow back.

The pattern of removed webs lets you identify chicks from up to sixteen different matings. Here's how it works: on each foot, a chick has three main toes and therefore two webs--the outer web (between the middle and outside toe) and the inner web (between the middle and inside toe).

Starting at the chick's left side, the first web (left outer) stands for 1: the next web (left inner) stands for 2: the next web (right inner) stands for 4; the far right-hand web (right outer) stands for 8. Assign each mating a number from 1 to 15 and identify chicks from each mating by adding up the numbers corresponding to the punched webs. (For a sixteenth mating, leave the chicks unpunched.)

Chicks in batch number 1 have the left outer web punched. Chicks in batch number 2 have the left inner web punched. Chichs in batch number 3 have bothe the left outer and left inner web punched. Chicks in batch number 3 have both the left outer and left inner webs punched (1+2=3) Chicks in batch number 5 have the left outer and right inner webs punched (1+4=5). And so forth.

Toe-punching works only if you know when you open the incubator which chicks came from which mating. You can identify chicks by:
* dyeing embryos
* hatching different matings at different times
* keeping eggs from different matings on different hatching trays
* enclosing small groups of eggs in upside-down baskets (pedigree baskets) such as plastic pint-size fruit baskets.
LEFT FOOT
\o! /
\ !o/
\o!o/
\ ! /
\o! /
\ !o/
\o!o/
\ ! /
\o! /
\ !o/
\o!o/
\ ! /
\o! /
\ !o/
\o!o/
\ ! /

RIGHT FOOT
\ ! /
\ ! /
\ ! /
\o! /
\o! /
\o! /
\o! /
\ !o/
\ !o/
\ !o/
\ !o/
\o!o/
\o!o/
\o!o/
\o!o/
\ ! /

Last edited:
Hi, wondering if I could get some honest input here. Am I asking too much for these birds? I thought $50 each was reasonable, am I way off base? What would be a reasonable price?
Thanks in advance

They're 6 months old, pullets have started to lay.

Last edited:
Quote:
well I'll show my newbie ignorance-- are these pullets or roos? Got an arguement going with some of the relatives about mine who look very similar. These sure are pretty tho. Mine are younger. Haven't started laying or crowing yet.

They appear to be very pretty birds. Can you tell us a little bit about them ? Do you know what generation they are? Do they carry any mottling? About how much do they weigh?
Hi, wondering if I could get some honest input here. Am I asking too much for these birds? I thought $50 each was reasonable, am I way off base? What would be a reasonable price?
Thanks in advance

Thanks in advance

It seems we all are hesitant to provide opinions when someone asks what their chickens are worth, for fear of hurting feelings. My experience indicates you very rarely get back what you have invested in an older chicken unless perhaps you have raised them from your own breeding stock (if you consider this no initial investment) or they are exceptional show quality birds. Last February I sold 5 Lavendar pullets at auction. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/625580/auction-group-of-5-lavender-orpingtons#post_8357136 I got only $10 each. Perhaps I could have gotten more had I agreed to ship out of state. I doubt I could have gotten anything for cockerels. I took a loss on them, but had to reduce my numbers.

When lavenders first were introduced, everyone wanted them and the prices were very high. As they have become more common, the prices have dropped. The breeders who are working to get the Lavendars up to the standard of the other varieties (those willing to pay high prices) are going to be very selective and will only want show quality specimens. When I compare your photos to those of Best of Orpington Breed show winners, I think they have a way to go. That is why Lavenders are usually considered project birds.

Bottom line, birds are worth whatever another is willing to pay. That being said, I have yet to see a chick as beautiful as the lavender orpington, and yours are very attractive. Take my comments with a grain of salt, but you asked.

Here is a photo of my lavender orpington roo. He is 3-1/2 months old in the photo. I noticed today that he was getting some darker color today. I'll get a new photo tomorrow.

No worries about hurting my feelings, I was asking for honest input, thank you!
I bought these chicks as 3 week olds for $10 each, I think, for Lavenders, they're pretty nice. They do carry mottling, here's one of the roos
His type is much rangier then the rest, as you can see, but he's also half again the size of the biggest normal Lavender cockerel. What is the significance of the mottling?
I don't know how much they weigh, I haven't tried to weigh one yet. I am planning on butchering the extra roos, probably this weekend, but I wanted to see if there was any interest in them first. Especially because I have more pullets then I really want to winter. -- I live in South Dakota so I have to take winters seriously as it affects my flock.
I do realize Lavenders are a project and I know they're not the quality of some of the buffs I've seen in the show barn. My original plan was to purchase a nice big black English cockerel to add type, and I still may do that. That won't be until Spring anyway

Back
Top Bottom