The primary and covert feather length is only for birds with preselected parent stock. And for very young birds.

Females usually feather faster. In a given gene pool the females wings develop faster and start tail growth before the males. Based on that I'd wager you have one female. The other could be a slower to mature female. If the slower to develop chick has larger legs then I'd say with confidence it is indeed a cockerel.

There are many clues to sex of young birds but only by comparing them to brothers and sisters can you have a degree of accuracy. The two photos above don't show the legs, they are basically the same photo showing the back of the birds. Not a lot to go on. Had it been one photo showing both birds in profile you'd have given a lot more information.
IMG_4443.jpeg

Took this yesterday. A friend who knows chickens said he was 95% sure this was a roo. I sure hope so!!

Thank you. I was considering checking the vent maybe🤔
Hi! I did end up doing a vent check and do believe this is a roo. One of the photos has him in the back and my pullet in the front. Not sure if you can see him well enough. Thanks for the feedback!

Attachments

• IMG_4443.jpeg
    IMG_4443.jpeg
    424.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4436.jpeg
    IMG_4436.jpeg
    1,020 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4487.jpeg
    IMG_4487.jpeg
    705.3 KB · Views: 15

Back
Top Bottom