Lavender Orpington Thread

My beautiful Lavender Orpingtons, I ordered the eggs from eBay and was lucky enough to wind up with 1 male and 1 female. However, I am having such a hard time incubating their eggs . Is there anything special about incubating them that I should know. I incubate eggs a few times a year and no problems with other breeds including buff Orpington. But the lavenders are just not working out. These Two are a little over a year old. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Do you trim their vent feathers? I sure noticed a HUGE difference when I trimmed up my Jubilee Orpingtons and now EVERYBODY gets a trim. I just trim all the feathers all the way around a good bit. Some of these heavily feathered breeds have trouble making good contact. It certainly can't hurt and improves fertility with every breed to at least some extent.

I just love this breed and this color. Mixed in with my BLRW they are like a beautiful chicken postcard.

Just got my first egg yesterday my birds will be a year old about April 1 not much bigger then a pigeon egg that was a long wait
Spring has sprung in Arkansas
Harry

My beautiful Lavender Orpingtons, I ordered the eggs from eBay and was lucky enough to wind up with 1 male and 1 female. However, I am having such a hard time incubating their eggs . Is there anything special about incubating them that I should know. I incubate eggs a few times a year and no problems with other breeds including buff Orpington. But the lavenders are just not working out. These Two are a little over a year old. any help would be greatly appreciated.
What seems to be the problem? Not developing, quitting early, or not hatching? I have noticed that although the egg color is a beautiful light pinkish, it takes longer to see veining in these eggs. I just hatched 8 of 11, and had to assist 2 or 3 that zipped completely around, but didn't fully separate the membrane. I just had to tear it in a few spots to allow the chick to get out.

Do you trim their vent feathers? I sure noticed a HUGE difference when I trimmed up my Jubilee Orpingtons and now EVERYBODY gets a trim. I just trim all the feathers all the way around a good bit. Some of these heavily feathered breeds have trouble making good contact. It certainly can't hurt and improves fertility with every breed to at least some extent.
x2
I just did a test hatched & noticed some females gave many clears and other eggs developed & hatched successfully. Gave some butt cuts & now they're all good. Orps have a lot of cushion that can get in the way.

Back
Top Bottom