Lavender Orpington Thread

She's a bit skittish, but still the friendliest one I've ever had. :D
She finally got bigger than the bantam cochin cockerels, and learned she could whip them. :gig

She's a bit skittish, but still the friendliest one I've ever had. :D
She finally hot bigger than the bantam cochin cockerels, and learned she could whip them. :gig
Yes, my orps don't really care about the pecking order. The only time they may use their size advantage seems to be when treats are involved.
Your lav will likely calm down when she begins to lay.

24 weeks, definite pullet. :love
Shaping up pretty nicely, me thinks.
WP_20180109_16_44_02_Pro_LI.jpg
WP_20180109_16_43_54_Pro_LI.jpg

15.5 weeks (same orps - just another week older)
Based on the comb & wattle size= 2 males.... which is what I'm hoping for
Based on body shape & saddles feathers = I have a pair.

For some reason the one on right just looks feminine. (the more angular face)
IMG_6643.JPG
IMG_6644.JPG
IMG_6645.JPG

I went outside take some pics:

Here are what I thought were my 2 male lav orps. (Now I really think I hatched 7 females & only 1 male.) I nicknamed the male with the gold leakage "Dinner" but DD didn't appreciate my logical name. She calls him "Pretty Boy." She wants to keep him & I must admit, his unusual coloring is getting better looking.
*He's going through the typical, awkward-looking, chicken on stilts phase that all my teen cockerels share.
img_6718-copy-jpg.1238479
img_6721-copy-jpg.1238480

Here's the other one with the large comb & wattles. The body of this lav below looks very female and its face is not as dark red as the brother. Both are almost 17 weeks. The confirmed male has gold laced saddle & hackle feathers in addition to thick shanks & red comb/wattles. Is there any chance this lav below could be my future rooster?
img_6731-copy-jpg.1238481

Here's our silkie with her 2 chicks. (7 weeks old) Pretty sure since hatch that there's a male & female. Depending on my lav roo situation, I may end up keeping this bllk/lav split male.
img_6725-copy-jpg.1238483

... and of course, our good, old, sweet, boy, "Mr Dummy-pants" (blk/lav split) He's too old fertilize the whole flock, so he's in semi-retirement.
img_6704-copy-jpg.1238482

Hello BB,
I noticed your old post looking for Lav Orps. How did your search turn out? Are you raising Lav Orps? I have started breeding them here in Perry County on a small scale and some of my last years hatch is pictured in my avatar. I just sent an intro titled Perry County, PA to try and meet local people that share the hobby and see how we can support each other.

Hello BB,
I noticed your old post looking for Lav Orps. How did your search turn out? Are you raising Lav Orps? I have started breeding them here in Perry County on a small scale and some of my last years hatch is pictured in my avatar. I just sent an intro titled Perry County, PA to try and meet local people that share the hobby and see how we can support each other.

I used to frequent the Pennsylvanian's Unite thread, but haven't had time to keep up lately. Have you checked it out? I'm in WV, but not far from PA.

My boy is a bit faded and all the girls went thru hard molts, plus we've already had a really rough winter. But I'm impressed with how good they still look, all things considered.
WP_20180130_16_50_30_Pro_LI.jpg WP_20180130_16_50_19_Pro.jpg WP_20180130_16_50_09_Pro_LI.jpg

Back
Top Bottom