Lavender Orpingtons

Bigger comb usually is a give away no? I understand some boys won't have developed them yet but if you see a chick that has those attributes doesn't that mean boy?
Sometimes, it's not always that way, that's why we say wait and post pics in a couple more weeks. Some boys mature more slowly, so then again, we'll have a better idea in a couple weeks. I had a blue orp chick this year that had comb showing within a week but then it just stopped developing and never got any bigger, she ended up being a pullet. I know it's hard, but you need to be patient (not something that is easy with chickens, lol)

I have someone coming on Sat for 2 of them so I'm trying to pick which ones stay.
I already have LO Rooster and he is quite a nice gentleman so don't want any more.
Trying to base my decision off leg size, comb size, temperament (boys seem to always be calmer as chicks imo) and gut instinct/ opinions of others to verify my gut)

I have someone coming on Sat for 2 of them so I'm trying to pick which ones stay.
I already have LO Rooster and he is quite a nice gentleman so don't want any more.
Trying to base my decision off leg size, comb size, temperament (boys seem to always be calmer as chicks imo) and gut instinct/ opinions of others to verify my gut)
My roo is a gentleman also, very sweet boy. At least you have a plan, that's good, especially if you're going to start breeding. I try and sell them as pairs or trios, otherwise I clearly state straight run if they want baby chicks. I had 1 instance where I just had 2 cockerels left and I gave them away for free. If you were closer you could have your pick of blacks from my next hatch 😉 This is my boy Klaus

Attachments

• 20230719_172724.jpg
    20230719_172724.jpg
    516.8 KB · Views: 1
My roo is a gentleman also, very sweet boy. At least you have a plan, that's good, especially if you're going to start breeding. I try and sell them as pairs or trios, otherwise I clearly state straight run if they want baby chicks. I had 1 instance where I just had 2 cockerels left and I gave them away for free. If you were closer you could have your pick of blacks from my next hatch 😉 This is my boy Klaus
I have no blacks yet but I have a number for a breeder to get some in the spring.

Back
Top Bottom