lavender,porcelain,splash

skywatcher

Songster
10 Years
Feb 22, 2009
Arlington,Indiana
Lavender, Porcelain,&splash are not these just colorful words to call plain grey or dirty white.Then we had the Black color renamed purple,or blue. I prefer the older adjectives pitch tar black,Ace of spades black,black berry,black top. Notice black berry is making a come back in colorful names,won't be long & we have a black berry chicken. Sounds delicious

I think the colorful name, of Splash, Lavender and Porcelain are a bit more than adjectives that describe a particular hue. Each has a specific genetic distinction. While Splash and Lavender are indeed dilutes, Porcelain is the result of a different genetic combination and black would not be what comes to mind. I guess one could argue that black is dominent and therefore involved in the Splash and Lavender genetics and by the Lavender involvement then Porcelain also.

Blackberry would certainly be a good word to describe the black that one sees with the purple sheen, but then one might argue that is just an expression of red. Not sure it really matters much what we call them as long as everyone has the same mental picture of a specific color when we use the term.

Because of the particular colours mentioned as a group, I think they are probably talking about the silkie porcelain, which is not the real porcelain, but rather a lavender & isabel combination. But, regardless of which type of porcelain was mentioned, Jaynie's answer was spot on.

Just as with dogs, cats, rabbits and any other animals bred for exhibition, colour is very specific, and uses very specific terminology. "Gray" is a patterned feather in the world of chicken plumage, not a washed-out black as your computer monitor would see it. Dirty white would typically be used to refer to a chicken who is literally dirty or out of condition or with stained feathers.

Back
Top Bottom