Lavender (Self-Blue) ... How do we get there?

P@P@2four

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 14, 2008
Port Deposit, MD
Ok.. I'm looking for someone to explain the genetics to me. Honestly, I'm being lazy because I'm tired of looking through threads trying to find the right answer. All I really find is the black x lavender = yield, etc. and so forth.

My questions is what do people use as foundation stock to start the lavender gene in their breed? Orpingtons or Ameraucana's for example.

Thanks.

P@P@2four :

Ok.. I'm looking for someone to explain the genetics to me. Honestly, I'm being lazy because I'm tired of looking through threads trying to find the right answer. All I really find is the black x lavender = yield, etc. and so forth.

My questions is what do people use as foundation stock to start the lavender gene in their breed? Orpingtons or Ameraucana's for example.

Thanks.

Thats a very complex question. For example, Lavender Silkies were created by introducing the lavender gene from OEGB's I believe, way back in the mid 80's. Once the gene was introduced to the breed, two birds that carried the recessive gene were bred together, until one of their offspring inherited two recessive copies, thus producing a full lavender bird.

Its now being suggested that lavender birds are crossed with black to get a 'black base.' The black base helps the lavender appear more true. When you breed a lavender to black bird, the resulting offspring (you hope) will be black and carry at least one copy of the lavender gene (obtained from the lavender parent.) The black offspring carrying the single recessive gene, would then be bred to a full lavender bird, in hopes that some of their offspring will inherit one recessive gene from the lavender parent, and one recessive gene from the black gene carrying parent. Yields from a lavender to black gene carrying parent is supposed to be 50% lav ad 50% black.

The simple answer to your question is to start a lavender line, you need to obtain at least one lavender bird.​

Last edited by a moderator:
So ... then is Lavender a naturally occuring color in some poultry species? Is that how it was introduced? or was it created way back when?

Thanks.

Pick me, pick me, I have a question? I'm just starting to learn about color genetics. What will happen if I take a black/ lavender spilt bird and breed it to a blue or a splash?

Thanks,
Sonja

P@P@2four :

So ... then is Lavender a naturally occuring color in some poultry species? Is that how it was introduced? or was it created way back when?

Thanks.

Ok, now you've gone beyond the scope of what I am prepared to answer.... LOL​

Quote:
You'd get a mess....
lau.gif

Seriously, I dont know. I just know that I was told to NEVER breed a Lavender to an Andalusian blue bird.... wasn't told why, just never to do it.

Back
Top Bottom