Lavender (Self-Blue) ... How do we get there?

It's actually in Dutch, not German.

Actually all chickens have the genes for "molt"ing,
wink.png
but for mille fleur or porcelain they do need mottled.

Partridge isn't a gene, but rather a combination of several genes.

Partridge isn't a gene, but rather a combination of several genes.

Partridge is a name for a colour of chicken. But what is meant by partridge can vary according to breed. For instance a partridge Wyandotte is not the same colour a partridge Dutch bantam.
The gene Chicken Stalker was probably referring to was pattern gene (Pg). Though it is columbian (Co), rather than Pg, that is needed for mille fleur (with mo//mo).​

Chickens have many genes. A gene is the protein string stored at a specific place on a chromosome. For each of these genes there are different alleles (variations) that can fill that place. We typically call that location the "such-and-so" gene, using the term for a specific one of the alleles.

Think of it as being a child's shape sorter puzzle: Each hole is a different shape, and only blocks that are the correct shape can fit into that opening. However, any number of different blocks of the correct shape, but that differ in colour or pattern or material or whatever else; but htey are all the SAME shape. Let's further say that each opening has room for two blocks, and the rule is that you have to fill each opening--you can't leave any empty space.

Let's label one of the openings "andalusian blue." There are only two different types of blocks for this space: one we'll call blue and the other "not-blue." So, for this particular opening you have three choices: two blue blocks, two not-blue blocks or one of each.

A different opening also only has two different types of blocks. This is the lavender opening, and the choices are two blocks of lavender, two blocks of not-lavender or one of each.

A third opening has a bunch of different block types: extended black, birchen, wheaten, brown & not-black. There are a while lot more choices here as you can have two blocks of any of these or two different blocks--but they could be black & birchen or black & brown or black & wheaten or black & not-black or birchen & brown or birchen & wheaten or birchen & not-black or wheaten & brown or wheaten & not-black or brown & not-black (I think I got them all, but if not, at least you should get the idea.

And then there is a 4th, and a 5th and a 6th and ..... opening.

Somebody didn't read past the first post!
old.gif

Who me? LOL!!! Thanks for the straight answer.
big_smile.png
and the honesty.
tongue.png
I like it when people just say I don't know rather than run circles around the original question. I think I'll keep looking, maybe find someone somewhere that really understands the genetics behind colorations, etc. All chickens had their start from somewhere and then people "bred" specific traits into birds for very specific reasons (hardiness, eating, egg production, etc.)

Then again, i'm more of a picture person.
big_smile.png
all this talk of alleles and genotypes, etc., is all fine and dandy ( i understand most of it ) BUT mapping it to a dna strand or some type of "mapping" would make it 1000% more clear.

Again... thanks for all the help!​

OK, I've read every last post in the thread and I'm still confused.
hmm.png

If you are trying to introduce lavender/ self blue into a breed, do you need to work with black chickens of the breed? What about red? And then you cross in a lavender?

Also--- how do you tell the difference between a lavender and a blue?

Red is no where near the equation.

Black is used with a lavender bird to produce a more 'lavender' looking color. It tends to be more purpleish...

And yes to introduce lavender into a breed, take a lavender bird and breed it to black birds of that breed for best results. Keep the black chicks from the first mating, and when they are grown, breed them back to a full lavender bird (parent or otherwise.)

As well Andalusian blue birds should have dark navy hackles and a slate grey body. Lavender birds will be evenly colored from head to tail and will be a very pale blueish/purpleish color.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom