lay flat or use egg carton for lock-down?

Tomski

Songster
9 Years
Anybody tried both methods? Which one works better?

Seems the cutout egg carton has it's perks: Eggs stay in one place during hatching process - don't get bumped around by the other chicks

Laying flat will let the chick roll around while inside the egg, perhaps letting it pip-out easier???

I should have mentioned that I've just set them in the Styrofoam egg cartons with the bottoms cut out... How long do I have before I can change my mind and just lay them in the incubator?

There are only six eggs and I'm using an LG - so there is plenty of room.

I've used both and I exclusively use the egg carton now.

That way those first chickies don't play soccer with the remaining eggs.

Quote:
That's what I was thinking as well... However, being my first time.... Just not too sure. I THOUGHT I was sure about the egg cartons too. Now I'm starting to second guess myself. LOL

I was so sure too. But then I put them in and they filled the hole in the carton... Came back here and saw they cut down the carton.
barnie.gif
So I just took them out as to not move them around more than need be and I will used the carton method on the next hatch. Once I cut down the sides that is.
wink.png

What about styrafoam cups? I seen pics of that on here, not sure who did this.

I just breifly looked at the pic but it looked like the cups had been cut down the sides and laid out like flower petals.

The thing I like about using cartons is that the hatched chicks can't roll the unhatched eggs all over the place. However, I've had several chicks that pipped below or even with the level of the carton and get stuck. Most of them I didn't notice since the carton was there. I think I might try to make some sort of rack to put in my hatcher so I can lay the eggs on their sides but they can't be rolled around.

Back
Top Bottom