layena vs flockraiser

bantam_n00b

Songster
9 Years
Apr 17, 2010
Which is better or what is your experience with them? My hen should be laying again in about a month or so. Ive been reading around on the layena and i saw that it was recalled idk about the flockraiser but im guessing the flockraiser is more a maintenance feed. Also the one thing that im concerned is that they both dont have any animal protein and nutrients in it?

Quote:
Do you show? Because i want to be showing in the future and im trying to find the best diet for my birds. The only drawback would be the no animal protiens and nutrients in the feed for me.

My chickens get fed Flock Raiser and scratch mix. I feed Flock Raiser because we also have ducks and the Layena didn't have enough protein in it for my girls and they were feather picking. Since switching to the Flock Raiser, they have stopped that and their feathers are actually shinier than they were before. I give them free choice egg and oyster shell to help their eggs.

I always have lots of different ages in together so I prefer Flock Raiser with free choice oyster. If showing you could always supplement with manapro as well.

Flock raiser is higher protien which is needed for the heavier breeds like Rock, BO, wynadottes ect. It is OK to feed to whole flock. Layena is lower protien only 16% which is OK for light laying breeds light sexlinks, Ee's , leghorns and such. Any store selling Purnina Mills Feeds will sell both.

I feed Flock Raiser, whole grains, alfalfa pellets, and oyster shell.

I've used Layena off and on for years, usually when my feed store lets themselves run out of Flock Raiser, and my birds just do not seem to find it as palatable.

So do you have to supplement flockraiser with something else? Because i just bought a bag today.

And by fish meal do you mean the tuna in the can type stuff? Or what exactly is fish meal?

Back
Top Bottom